Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread

alcohol and weight

so many people complain about alcohol making them gain weight..but ive never ever had that problem. when i didnt drink a lot i didnt notice any changes..and now i drink 5-7 days a week for the past few months and no changes at all. does it just depend? i usually drink liquor too so many its just a lot of beer that makes people gain weight?

OffendedWarrior Guest
    I'm sure there are a lot of factors playing in it. The boy was a heavy drinker when he was younger and it didnt effect him. Now that he's hit 26/27/28 and is drinking heavier it has shown on him.

Either way gaining or not gaining its not healthy. It'll catch up one way or the other.

Alcohol is a common saboteur in weight loss efforts. It's full of totally empty calories - doesn't benefit the body at all. If all week, you've got your normal intake that would usually maintain your weight, adding in a substantial amount of empty calories is going to make you gain weight. But if this is like, once a week or just not a lot when you do drink, you won't see a lot of changes. Also, the younger and healthier you are in general, the better your body will be able to handle the extra calories. Your body may be able to just dispose of the extra intake better than people who subsist mainly on junk food and the internet.

Personally, when I drink, I drink a lot, and I have a higher tolerance than many. So my normal drinking night has a lot more empty calories than another's might. Maybe you aren't drinking enough to really affect your weight. There's a lot of factors at play.
    Leah

Blog Entries
    I drink a lot and I have a high tolerance, I've never noticed any correlation with my weight. However I'm not a beer drinker, and I hate mixing liquor with colas. So I pretty much drink everything straight or sip a chaser.

I'm tiny too, so I'd notice if I was gaining weight.
    Your scream is burning through my veins.

Live fast, die pretty.

"The knight departing for new adventures offends his lady, yet she has nothing but contempt for him if he remains at her feet" Simone de Beauvoir.

ARP <3 Come back to me.

Clear hard liquors are still pretty high in empty calories.
    Leah

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorShoeboxOfLies View Post
    I think the thing that gets most people is that they also eat unhealthy during or after a night of drinking. Lord knows I've been guilty of being drunk downtown and eating a delicious DP Dough calzone that I don't even want to think about how unhealthy it is. Drunk people often eat and make poor decisions, so you add all that unhealthy stuff on top of the amount of empty calories you get from drinking and that's a lot of the reason people gain weight.
    Good point. Every time I drink vodka, I crave frozen pizza and I will not stop eating it until I run out.
    Leah

I used to drink a lot, and really often and i'd always drink cocktails, beer and Southern Comfort with a sugary mixer or wine. All really high calorie, I noticed significant weight gain, however I can't put it entirely down to drinking cause their were other factors that were likely to be causing me to gain weight. I dont drink nearly as much now and I stick to vodka and diet coke

Quote Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post
    Alcohol is a common saboteur in weight loss efforts. It's full of totally empty calories - doesn't benefit the body at all. If all week, you've got your normal intake that would usually maintain your weight, adding in a substantial amount of empty calories is going to make you gain weight. But if this is like, once a week or just not a lot when you do drink, you won't see a lot of changes. Also, the younger and healthier you are in general, the better your body will be able to handle the extra calories. Your body may be able to just dispose of the extra intake better than people who subsist mainly on junk food and the internet.

Personally, when I drink, I drink a lot, and I have a higher tolerance than many. So my normal drinking night has a lot more empty calories than another's might. Maybe you aren't drinking enough to really affect your weight. There's a lot of factors at play.
    hhmhmm. idk, cause i can drink like a pint of liquor in a night lol. but its prob just the age thing or metabolism. cause i eat greasyfood too everytime i drink. i just hear people around me saying theydont want to drink a lot cause theyll get fat and im just like ... ?

Beer isnt actually that much more calories, and is sometimes less actually. A regular beer is like, 150 calories, a shot of vodka is ~110. Add mix, and you are over 250 calories for one. So even just doing shots of vodka is only a few cals less than beer. At least beer fills you up!

But back to the question, I get drunk munchies, which are way worse than alcohol itself. Chicken nuggets always call my name after a night of drinking...
    The sooner you let 2 hearts beat together, The sooner you'll know this love is forever, Love needs time now or never

I don't notice a difference either. I think it's to due the fact that I lose more weight when I'm dehydrated, and alcohol dehydrates me. So I'm not losing my weight in fat (which would be sweet), I'm just losing water, which is not a good thing
    "I've got everything you need: games for the Dreamcast, Playstation 1, and free smoovies."

i would be about 10 lbs lighter if i never drank. i gave up beer for 6 weeks last summer and lost about that much. i was also eating healthier though.

but yeah, it doesn't affect me that much. i drink like 3000 calories worth of booze every weekend easily, and eat gross food while drunk, and i'm not fat.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.