Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread

When do you feed your pet?

The other thread got me wondering this. Do you actually have set times that you feed your pet and the pet will eat all the food right then and there?

There has always been a dog in my house as long as I've been alive. We had one dog that died when I was about 11 and then got another dog about a year later. We didn't have "meal times" for either of those dogs. We would just fill the bowl with dog food and the dogs both just ate whenever they were hungry. Then when we noticed the bowl was low/empty we refilled it.
    You think you're all that, Kim Possible, but you're not!

I've always had dogs in my house as well. At most three, right now I have two. My ma feeds them when she gets up at 5 AM. They've become accustomed at eating and being let out at that time, so they get a little antsy/wake her up if she's running late. I'm much harder to wake up, so when she's not home they don't eat until 10 AM when I get up. Lol.
    |formerly; precious_6290|

"Faith without work is dead."

Quote Originally Posted by Eidos View Post
    I petsit, and most people have their dogs set to be fed a specific amount at a certain time of day(so morning, or evening or both). Most dogs will eat more than they need and will get fat if you let them free feed.
    With cat most of my clients have a large bowl and allow free feeding, but some cats will eat more than they need too, so some people give a specific amount at a specific time too.

For my cat: I used to free feed, but since I changed his diet I am trying to keep better tabs on how much he is eating so I've been measuring out half a cup in the morning for him.
    My birds are free fed.
    My mom&step dads dogs get fed a specific amount every evening.
    Actually with my dog, we did put her on a diet once. We were told to give her 2/3 c in the morning and at night. But she doesn't even eat 2/3 in a day. I'm sure some dogs do overeat, but I don't think my dog does. Oddly enough, I hardly ever see her eat. When I do, it's just a few nibbles around 5pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidos View Post
    I know there's some dogs that can have a bowl full of food and only eat what they need, my boyfriends family dog is the way your dog is too. But most dogs just tend to go bat**** crazy when you give them a bowl filled with more food than they need.

Lol, my moms dog for example: She will eat all of her food and all of our other dogs food if you let her and still act starving. There's been a ridiculous number of times when she's managed to get into the container of dog or cat food and she'll honestly eat until her stomach is so full that you can tell that the only reason she stopped eating was because she physically could not fit any more food into her stomach.
    I wonder if the reason that happens is because they are so used to be fed a certain times. I've noticed that the dogs who get fed at certain times almost eat it all right away. Well if they were used to having a full bowl all day then they probably wouldn't do that. Idk, I'm not a dog therapist.

Ever since she was a puppy, we just kept her bowl full and put more food in when it was empty. She just eats when she's hungry, and has never had a weight issue or anything. However she does tend to eat in the evening, sometimes morning too. Actually after we eat dinner she goes to eat, so if she is eating and we didn't have dinner she gave up on waiting lol.

Blog Entries
    When my cat meows we either feed him or let him outside. He's too finicky and hates dry food unless he's starving. The food has to be fresh for him to eat it. Evey now and then we'll "trick" him if he's being ridiculous about it and just stir the food around his bowl so he'll eat it. Our cat doesn't drink water inside. We assume he gets it from the lake across the street. In my family, all the cats we've had have done this. This cat is a little more work though. We have his food on the counter because our dog used to eat it and it's in the way on the floor. He's old and occasionally has trouble jumping up. So we'll have to pick him up.

When we had a dog we did kind of the same thing. She was weird though. When she was thirsty she'd run to the tub and bark or hop in. We then would get her water and food. She didn't eat a whole lot. She was a tiny thing.

My dog eats at around 7am and again at 7pm. Sometimes she leaves some bite fulls from the morning which we leave it for her to nibble on throughout the day. Shes slightly overweight :/
    Member since the "yellow boards" :]

I feed her when I wake up and before i go to bed. Sometimes i feed her when i get home from work, depends. If i don't feed her before i go to bed she wakes me up at crazy times running around and making noises.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLRE6c6ntrg