Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread

How do I deal with these migraines?

I'm pregnant and I obviously can't take my normal medications and Tylenol doesn't do anything.
    So what can I do for the next week to deal with these migraines for the next week until my next appointment?
    I pop no style, I'm strictly rude.

Sleep? That's the only thing that helps me when I have a migraine. I also googled and found this. Hope this helps
    A piece of my heart lies with my Golden, now and forever. RIP Teddy. I love you.
    06/14/2002-28/10/2010

Identify your triggers to try to prevent, too
    ♥καiℓεу♥

Definitely read it as "how do I deal with these immigrants".

Put earplugs in and go to sleep, that's the only thing I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorShoeboxOfLies View Post
    Drink something like coffee or a soda (one a day is totally fine when you're pregnant). Take a cool shower.
    A lot of migraines and headaches happen due to dehydration. I'd avoid coffee and soda's at all costs, and drink a lot of water. I never take Tylenol and water helps a lot.

I bought ear plugs and let me tell you, I sleep like a baby with them. haha
    On another note, I don't drink coffee and drink pop maybe once a week if that.

The only things that seem to help are hot baths (which I can't take), excedrin like medicine (which I can't take, ie aspirin), and sleep. My main problem is work. I have to work at least 11 hour shifts and all the smells (of coffee and whatnot) are definitely big triggers.

Thanks for the responses, I guess I'll just drink lots of water and cross my fingers that my neurologist will have a miracle cure. I can't deal with this everyday.

You might end up having to talk to your boss about it. Let him/her know that since you're pregnant, you can't take migraine medication, and see if you feel one coming on, he would let you take even a ten minute break to go lie down or something. I have no idea what kind of work you do, though. Or maybe see if you could be scheduled shorter shifts?

Basically the only thing that helps me is my meds(Normally hydrocodone, but if it's really bad, I'll take a Maxalt.), and lying down in the dark. Smells don't normally trigger/worsen the pain for me, but light and especially sound does. I have to be in a dark, quiet room, and preferably have a cool compress. My mom's the opposite, she has to have a hot compress, but I tried that once, and I seriously thought my head was going to explode.
    "Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" Kaylee-Serenity

Some girl on the street asked if i was saved yet. I told her I saved at the checkpoint a couple minutes back and can reload from there if I die. She was confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaretto View Post
    You might end up having to talk to your boss about it. Let him/her know that since you're pregnant, you can't take migraine medication, and see if you feel one coming on, he would let you take even a ten minute break to go lie down or something. I have no idea what kind of work you do, though. Or maybe see if you could be scheduled shorter shifts?

Basically the only thing that helps me is my meds(Normally hydrocodone, but if it's really bad, I'll take a Maxalt.), and lying down in the dark. Smells don't normally trigger/worsen the pain for me, but light and especially sound does. I have to be in a dark, quiet room, and preferably have a cool compress. My mom's the opposite, she has to have a hot compress, but I tried that once, and I seriously thought my head was going to explode.
    I'm the assistant manager so if I'm there, I'm running it. I mean, I can go lock myself in the office, but the smell of coffee makes my stomach turn and I don't think there's anything I can do about that!

Maxalt is amazing! But it cost me $50 and I'm not even sure if I can take that either right now.
    They had me on blood pressure meds to prevent and cambia when I get them and both are a big no no unless I want a tiny baby or birth defects.

Tokyo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidos View Post
    The point of coffee and soda is the caffine in them that help migranes. So she shouldn't necessarily avoid them at all costs. But drinking plenty of water is always good too.
    Yeah, caffeine is the only thing that helps my headaches. I like to drink a cup or two of coffee a day and it seriously helps. It's actually in exedrine migraine relief.

I don't have any suggestions other than sleep. My mum suffered from really bad headaches too when she was pregnant so she would sleep a lot to try and get rid of/ease them
    Bazinga!

Put Vicks vapour rub around on your temples and eat black licorice
    "I've got everything you need: games for the Dreamcast, Playstation 1, and free smoovies."