Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dreadlocks

Dreadlocks

Have any of you dreaded your hair, or has someone close to you done it?

I've always toyed with the idea in my head, but after seeing my best friend do it to his hair and how awesome it looks, I'm seriously considering it.

Me and my hair now.
    Potential awesomeness (minus the piercings hahah)

So yeah. What do you think about them? My cousin did it and it didn't look half bad. If all you're going to contribute is "They're unsanitary and gross", then do not even bother lol. Your opinion will not be considered whatsoever

I think a very few select people (especially girls) look good with dreads and I really cannot see them on you. I like how your hair is now, you look really pretty. that's just my opinion though.
    Many have I loved, and many times been bitten,
    Many times I've gazed along the open road.

Many times I've lied and many times I've listened,
    Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.

I agree with SmokingGun - dreads don't look like they'd suit you at all. Regardless of you keeping them clean, the grungy look doesn't fit.

My ex tried to dread his hair (it was about your length), but halfway through his friend gave up, so he [fortunately] never got them.
    monicaacinom: I'm distraught that you aren't a nihilistic Hi-C drinker.

Strawberrie Guest
    You have the perfect face for white girl dreadlocks. I like your look now a lot so it makes me hesitate, but the few girls I've known to pull of this look have faces like yours. The only thing I will say is that when you have dreads your ability to pull it off really depends on the thickness of your dreads and your ability to create a style (clothes, accessories, hairstyles) that fit with the deadlock look. Only do it if you're really ready to commit to it because a lot of people will dislike it and your look simply because they dont like deadlocks. But if you do commit to it and go all out it will look awesome on you.

I personally dont like dreads on girls. Although on one of the websites you posted there was a black girl on there with nice curly ones. Thats probably the only time I think they look cute on a girl.
    Member since the "yellow boards" :]

Blog Entries
    I really don't think you could pull it off, sorry. You have too much of a good-girl cute/sweet look to you.
    Alexithymia is a term coined by Peter Sifneos in 1973 to describe a state of deficiency in understanding, processing, or describing emotions. It's pronounced uh-lecks-uh-thigh-me-uh.

"An intellectual is a person that's found one thing more interesting than sex"- Aldous Huxley

Don't do it! Your hair is so pretty now and you'll ruin it with dreads!
    You think you're all that, Kim Possible, but you're not!

Blaahh you guys suck, but thanks for the feedback. I sometimes hate how cute/ innocent I look...I'm 19 damnit.

I'm still thinking about them, and I'll toy with the idea for a few weeks. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is if I decide I don't want them anymore, I'd have to cut them out so my hair would be gone.

I don't think you have the grungy look for them. Plus you'd probably get bored of them after a bit. I know they seem kind of cool/fun, but they'd get old after a couple of weeks.

And then, you'd have to cut them off or spend SO many hours getting them like combed out, leaving your hair incredibly damaged to the point where you might as well have just gotten them cut off.

I would love to do that if I could. I tried it once, my bf and I took turns backcombing the hair, hours was spent on my hair. We did NOT get done, my hair is super thick and halfway down my back so it was taking FOREVER. And the ones we were doing weren't looking great. And we thought we'd just continue later, so I took care of them, but all my other hair started matting into the dreads. I did my research, I tried my best, but it was a mess.

So yeah if you are thinking of this, I would look into professional help. Or at least someone who has them and knows what they are doing. It is very time consuming, and plan on your neck hurting.

Oh and if you are wondering what happened when I took them out, my super loving bf gently combed them all out of my hair. And that was very time consuming as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Cook View Post
    Blaahh you guys suck, but thanks for the feedback. I sometimes hate how cute/ innocent I look...I'm 19 damnit.

I'm still thinking about them, and I'll toy with the idea for a few weeks. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is if I decide I don't want them anymore, I'd have to cut them out so my hair would be gone.
    If you really want to, I think you should. But it is a commitment, there is no changing up your hair daily. You might get bored of it. And it is possible to get them out without cutting from my understanding. Mine were not well formed, but I got them combed out. There is that dread remover stuff, so I'm guessing it is really possible even when they are formed.

I don't think you should get them. no way

about a year ago i was riding my bike around and i saw a family of white people who dreaded their daughters hair, she was about 4 or 5. I was so shocked lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLRE6c6ntrg

I think it would look good. The girl who rocks them in the pics you posted has a very feminine face.
    I have one friend who had them done. I won't post her pic, but I think she looks even better now with dreads
    "I've got everything you need: games for the Dreamcast, Playstation 1, and free smoovies."

If looking cool is more important to you than sustaining a good job, go for it. (Not to mention it kills your hair).

Do you have a job? I dont think most 'typical' jobs would allow dreads, so something to look into before getting it done.
    The sooner you let 2 hearts beat together, The sooner you'll know this love is forever, Love needs time now or never