Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Strawberrie Guest

Would you update your facebook status?

This is based on something I saw on tv recently and something I saw on facebook today. Here are a couple scenarios. Post whether you would update your facebook page/facebook status or not and why. Also feel free say how much of a social networker you are, like how much you post, if you post a lot of personal things, how often you log on or how many people you actually talk to on facebook and if your profile is public or private.

1. You find out you have an illness, but it's not life threatening but you will need surgery. Do you update your facebook?
    2. You find out you have cancer and you only have X number of months to live. Do you make a status or write about it?
    3. You have have become wheelchair bound for the rest of your life. Do you tell facebook? Or wait til you are one day tagged in pictures in your wheelchair?
    4. Your pregnant and you didn't post much about the pregnancy but all your friend know. At 7 months you have a miscarriage. Do you post about it?
    5. You get attacked/mugged/assaulted/etc. and you have to go to court. Do you look to facebook for support?
    6. You were in a car crash. Do you post about it? What if the other person died? Does that change your answer?
    7. You were wrongfully fired from your job. Do you make an angry status about it?

It's interesting to see how people today value the internet and social networking sites. I feel like I see people posting a lot of what I would call 'dirty laundry' and extremely personal things on facebook when they're profiles are set to public or when they have over 1,000 friends.

And of course this can be interchanged with Twitter or any other site where you post a lot. Even a blog.

No to all. I don't post anything even remotely personal on facebook. Actually I haven't even posted anything in like 2 months, come to think of it.

I'm very private with my FB feed and generally avoid posting very personal/private things - plus I don't want to sound needy or pathetic. Who knows, though. If I go through something really traumatic I might feel the need to share.
    monicaacinom: I'm distraught that you aren't a nihilistic Hi-C drinker.

Blog Entries
    No to all of them.
    Alexithymia is a term coined by Peter Sifneos in 1973 to describe a state of deficiency in understanding, processing, or describing emotions. It's pronounced uh-lecks-uh-thigh-me-uh.

"An intellectual is a person that's found one thing more interesting than sex"- Aldous Huxley

I wouldn't post about any of those things. I don't use Facebook much anyway, and all of those things are WAY too personal for me to share with so many people, even getting fired; too much emotion tangled up in all of them. I might post about one or two of these things on another message board I frequent, though.

Blog Entries
    Prob not to all

Strawberrie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidos View Post
    1. Probably not.
    2. I don't think I would. I would let the word spread by telling the people who matter. But I wouldn't want the flood of sympathy from people I don't interact with regularly.
    3. I might post that I was in a car crash, or had an accident. But I don't think I'd explicitly state that I was in a wheelchair.
    4. No.
    5. I don't think I would.
    6. I might state that I wrecked my car, if that was it. But if someone died, I definitely would not post about it because I can't think of a respectful way to put it, and I would have too much guilt to be able to go to that part of the internet with it.
    7. I wouldn't because I wouldn't want future employers to see.

For all of those, my answer would be different(yes's) with my tumblr. I don't have any one I know on tumblr, it's mostly anonymous and writing about things that have bothered me make me feel better without feeling like I'm asking for sympathy.

I write a lot of personal things on my tumblr. But I only update my fb every couple of weeks with something light-hearted("lolz, my professor just told me I have an amazing wardrobe"), never too serious.
    So if you had people you knew on tumblr you wouldn't post about them? I agree with the asking for sympathy part, since that's how I always feel it looks when people post things like that on their facebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by nillihc View Post
    I'm very private with my FB feed and generally avoid posting very personal/private things - plus I don't want to sound needy or pathetic. Who knows, though. If I go through something really traumatic I might feel the need to share.
    Agree with this. I don't think I would but I feel like if I were distressed or whatever I would be more tempted to.

NOTE: What I forgot to say in the original post I guess was that except for the cancer one I've seen different people on my friends list post about each of these things happening to them. And the wheelchair one was my ex's sister so I saw that by default through him commenting. I feel like they are very personal things to be posting about, but that's our generation for some reason.

Strawberrie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    I wouldn't post about any of those things. I don't use Facebook much anyway, and all of those things are WAY too personal for me to share with so many people, even getting fired; too much emotion tangled up in all of them. I might post about one or two of these things on another message board I frequent, though.
    Yes. I always see people post about how they got fired for stealing or they dont know why they got fired and for me thats just so embarrassing. I would feel more ashamed than like proud because these are all people I've met. On jb it seems okay haha.

no to all of them. i don't post personal stuff on facebook.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

1. You find out you have an illness, but it's not life threatening but you will need surgery. Do you update your facebook?
    I might complain about how much it sucks being sick or something.
    2. You find out you have cancer and you only have X number of months to live. Do you make a status or write about it?
    I might post subtle things like "live life to the fullest" or YOLO. Hahah.
    3. You have have become wheelchair bound for the rest of your life. Do you tell facebook?
    No.
    4. Your pregnant and you didn't post much about the pregnancy but all your friend know. At 7 months you have a miscarriage. Do you post about it?
    No.
    5. You get attacked/mugged/assaulted/etc. and you have to go to court. Do you look to facebook for support?
    No.
    6. You were in a car crash. Do you post about it? What if the other person died? Does that change your answer?
    I would post about my totaled car but not if someone died.
    7. You were wrongfully fired from your job. Do you make an angry status about it?
    Yes.
    There ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good.

Facebook, none of them. but I'd probably tweet "waaah surgery today" or "boo wrecked my car". only those two though
    Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I am not living.

nobutreallyguys.tumblr.com, yo

Maybe the first one. That's not too serious. I posted about my tonsillectomy. But I wouldn't say anything regarding death
    "I've got everything you need: games for the Dreamcast, Playstation 1, and free smoovies."

13. No to all of them. I don't post anything personal at all.

Nope. Only one I might post is the car crash, but only if it were a minor crash. Just something like, "wrecked my car " Nothing with a lot of detail. But even that I highly doubt I would ever post.
    You think you're all that, Kim Possible, but you're not!

Hallie Guest
    No to all of those. I don't post anything even close to personal on my facebook, and I find it really weird when people do.