Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MonitorMeisha View Post
    I read some pages online and it sounds like a bad fanfic, lol.
    Ya know it started out that way... horrible. But when I got to the good part I caved in and decided to buy it. With my B&N discount it was only $10 brand new, not bad.
    banshee (ˈbænʃiː, bænˈʃiː)
    — n
    (in Irish folklore) a female spirit whose wailing warns of impending death

Blog Entries
    Okay I just have to say this- since it's been on my mind the whole time I'm reading it.

Who the eff has an orgasm the first time they have sex?
    If *Christian Grey* has a huge dick like it's advertised in the book, I bet a million bucks that girl would be screaming in pain, not on the edge of ecstasy, or however the author describes her.

It pisses me off to read this because NO ONE has that many orgasms in their first experiences ****ing, and if they do- why can't I find a man like that? lol
    Plus the whole idea of submission really gets to me. Like, it hits a little too close to home, and at some parts I actually start crying.
    banshee (ˈbænʃiː, bænˈʃiː)
    — n
    (in Irish folklore) a female spirit whose wailing warns of impending death

Relevant! Grandmas talking about 50 Shades of Grey. Obviously NSFW haha.
    Leah

Quote Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post
    Relevant! Grandmas talking about 50 Shades of Grey. Obviously NSFW haha.
    LOL at vaginal fisting and butt plug.
    What happens in the heart simply happens.

You think you're all that, Kim Possible, but you're not!

Didn't it start out as Twilight fan-fiction? That put me off a little but I read all three of them and I've fallen in love with Christian Grey. I really enjoyed all three of them, although some of the storylines get a little far fetched. Towards the end there's less sex and more gushy "I love you, you're the centre of my universe" crap
    Bazinga!

Blog Entries
    those books are ****ing creepy and completely highlight an abusive relationship. I'd suggest reading this author's recaps on them. they're hilarious.
    “Baby," I said, "I'm a genius but nobody knows it but me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Yeah, that's what majorly put me off. But then I read the wikipedia page (spoilers) and I wa slike okay this actually sounds a lot more like a book about an abusive relationship. I was hoping it would delve into that side of things and be interesting. But so far no. It reminds me of middle aged women's sex novels. BUT, I havn't finished it yet so I won't pass judgement juuussst yet.
    I think that's really insulting to your average romance novel. 50 Shades definitely portrays an unhealthy relationship, whereas most romance/erotica celebrates more healthy interactions.
    Leah

I just started it. I hate it. It's too wishy washy and fanfic and "Mills & Boon" ish. You know, those crappy romance/sex novels. And I havn't even gotten to where they have sex yet.

Whoever said it was like Stephanie Meyers.. that's EXACTLY what I thought too. I could NOT finish the first twilight book. I just couldn't. It's the only book in my entire life I havn't been able to bring myself to finish. The writing was appalling.

BUT I will finish it because I AM A TROOPER.
    I imagine this was your face while reading it.
    "Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" Kaylee-Serenity

Some girl on the street asked if i was saved yet. I told her I saved at the checkpoint a couple minutes back and can reload from there if I die. She was confused.

It's interesting if you think about how so many women are calling this book erotic and talking about finding their own Christian Grey, and then consider all the girls on JB who are in abusive relationships (or just in a relationship with a dick) and continue to go back to him. What is wrong with women that they are so blind to abuse? Why are they so eager to find "love" that they don't bother with the big details like that?

As much as I dislike banshee's threads, mostly because I find them a little attention seeking, an abusive relationship is not that black and white. My mother was with my biological dad for 8 years, he repeatedly beat her. People can be very manipulative.
    I wasn't even speaking about banshee. How many times have there been girls making threads who was just a plain ol' dickhead but they refused to believe it?

Ashley Guest
    I don't think there's anything wrong with portraying abuse in an erotic novel. People have rape fantasies, but they don't actually want to be raped. As long as it's adults reading this, they should be smart enough to discern a fantasy and a real world abusive relationship.

I think it's far more offensive to portray an unhealthy relationship in a teen novel like twilight.

I know you wern't, but she was the first person who sprung to mind. I should have said banshee and other girls in similar situation.. but my point is still the same.
    When I said abuse, I wasn't really talking about the "beat your girlfriend and then cry about it and pretend your sorry so that she stays" kind of abuse. I understand the severity of those situations and how difficult it can be to leave them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Drakken View Post
    When I said abuse, I wasn't really talking about the "beat your girlfriend and then cry about it and pretend your sorry so that she stays" kind of abuse. I understand the severity of those situations and how difficult it can be to leave them.
    What were you talking about then? There are other types of abuse, and they're all just as severe. Emotional abuse is arguably the worst kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    What were you talking about then? There are other types of abuse, and they're all just as severe. Emotional abuse is arguably the worst kind.
    Emotional abuse could definitely be seen as the worst kind, but it is also (in my opinion) more likely to be spotted early on in a relationship (obvs not in every case). In my post, I was talking about the abuse seen in 50 Shades, which any sane person would have been able to sense almost immediately. In fact, Ana DOES sense how manipulative and domineering Christian is almost right away. Yet she still gets with him. I'm just pointing out how nonsensical it is that so many women are calling that sexy, and how common it is to see the same kind of situations on JB. For example, I've seen quite a few posts from girls on here talking about how their new boyfriend said something along the lines of "I'm the man so I'm better than you". Some of those girls left the relationship right away, some justified what the guy was saying and stayed with him. THAT is the kind of situation I'm talking about. Not a situation where you've been in a relationship for so long and the guy never showed any signs of being a jerk or abusive until way down the road when it's tougher to get out of. I'm not trying to argue anything, I was trying to point out a consistency that I've noticed in today's culture.