Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread

Drinking Age Question

My bf turns 21 soon, I don't turn 21 til Nov. I think it would be fun to go out to eat for his birthday, somewhere that serves alcoholic beverages and let him order one, but since I won't be 21 will they still serve him? We've never really drank before so we aren't familiar with rules and stuff. I just think it might be an issue to serve alcohol when there is an underage person at the table? I'm so confused.

I would assume they would still serve him, but I have also heard stories that when it's group of friends they will deny serving if one person is under.
    You think you're all that, Kim Possible, but you're not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Yea they'll still serve him. You've never gone to a restaurant with your parents where they order wine with dinner or something?
    Yeah but it's different, I mean he's my bf so they could assume I would "share" or something. idk this is how clueless I am lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Drakken View Post
    I would assume they would still serve him, but I have also heard stories that when it's group of friends they will deny serving if one person is under.
    This is kinda what I was thinking of. If this is the case I guess we would wait til I turn 21 to do something like this. But I'm gluten free so I'm limited on drinking so probably wouldn't.

When I was out with my friends, there were 6 of us, only one of us was 21 at the time and she bought a drink with no problems
    Member since the "yellow boards" :]

Hmmm maybe it'll be ok then. I guess it wouldn't ruin everything if we were told no.

Of course they will serve him. I mean families go out to eat and one of them might get a beer or something and they aren't going to deny serving it to them because there are kids seated at that table.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.PotatoHead View Post
    My bf turns 21 soon, I don't turn 21 til Nov. I think it would be fun to go out to eat for his birthday, somewhere that serves alcoholic beverages and let him order one, but since I won't be 21 will they still serve him? We've never really drank before so we aren't familiar with rules and stuff. I just think it might be an issue to serve alcohol when there is an underage person at the table? I'm so confused.
    Yeah they will serve him! I go out to eat, and to bars and clubs with my friends and SO who can all drink and have never had a problem, On my bro's 21st b-day I was 17 and he ordered a drink with no problem.
    So long as you aren't trying to drink it, it's fine.
    "A light in the middle of the f***ing sky! yeah, that's brilliant!"

"Maybe, just maybe, he was an English teacher. Learn to spell and he'll go away!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eidos View Post
    Oh, but I have had a couple waiters 'catch' me drinking some of of my moms cocktail and come to the tableto tell me I couldn't do that in their restraunt(despite state law saying that minors are legal to drink with their parents) unless I was of age.
    It doesn't matter what the state law is. A restaurant has every right to tell you that you can't drink there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Yea they'll still serve him. You've never gone to a restaurant with your parents where they order wine with dinner or something?
    Well, it is different when it's obviously your parent. The day I turned 21, I went to the liquor store with my mom (woooo) and they didn't ask for my ID. I was so disappointed. But the same guy at the same store always asks for my ID when I'm alone.

Anyway it'll be fine.

Here you have to be with someone over the age of 25 to be allowed at the same table with alcohol present.

Some places are more lenient in enforcing this rule than others, but it is strictly enforced in my college town.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidos View Post
    Absolutely! I have a bit of experience with it, my boyfriend turned 21 eight months before me and we went out to eat fairly often, he'd always get a beer or something and they'd ID him but neve cared that I was there too. Lol, a few times I would try to order alcohol too and they would ID both of us and I would have convieniently 'forgotten' my ID. They'd still serve him despite the likelyhood that I was underage.

Oh, but I have had a couple waiters 'catch' me drinking some of of my moms cocktail and come to the tableto tell me I couldn't do that in their restraunt(despite state law saying that minors are legal to drink with their parents) unless I was of age.

One final thing: if he buys a pack of beer or bottle of wine from a grocery store there's a good chance that they won't sell it to him if they find out your underage(and they'll ask for both of your ID's)
    This is the other thing that made me think it would be an issue at a restaurant.

Cool guess we'll probably be ok.