Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

are you a heavy or light sleeper?

discuss.

if you're a light sleeper, do you use any kind of sleep aids? eg. white noise machines, ear plugs, face mask etc

i'm a really irritatingly light sleeper. i need complete silence in the house in order to fall asleep, and then the smallest noise, amount of light, or even smell will wake me. i can't remember the last time i slept straight through the night.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Blog Entries
    I'm somewhere in the middle I suppose. I live on the first floor and I live walking distance from all the local bars so a bunch of people are always walking by my window drunk and loud. Noises like that will prevent me from falling asleep but they won't wake me up if I'm already asleep. Falling asleep I need complete darkness but light noise is okay.
    Alexithymia is a term coined by Peter Sifneos in 1973 to describe a state of deficiency in understanding, processing, or describing emotions. It's pronounced uh-lecks-uh-thigh-me-uh.

"An intellectual is a person that's found one thing more interesting than sex"- Aldous Huxley

I'm a light sleeper as in, anything wakes me, but I have no problem falling asleep anywhere. So my sleep is interrupted a lot, but I usually fall asleep right back.
    Love like you've never been hurt and dance till dawn like you've just been born.

I'm in the middle. I usually can have a little light (like the tv on) to fall asleep but no noise. The TV we have right now makes the faintest noise while on mute, like I can hear muffled voices, and I can't stand it so the TV has to be completely off.

Once I'm asleep little noises won't wake me up but my bf talks in his sleep and that always wakes me up. I'd say anything voice level and above will wake me up. Occasionally I wake up when he gets out of bed but that's on and off. Depends on how early it is, if it's still dark out I usually won't wake up. I sleep through the night pretty often, and if I do wake up it's easy for me to fall right back asleep.
    GO DUKE BLUE DEVILS

Thankfully I'm a really heavy sleeper. I live in the city 2 blocks from the fire station on a corner, so there's a lot of traffic noise. It would be so annoying to be woken up by every passing truck and police car. I sleep through car alarms, loud drunk people, prison break siren tests (every Saturday at noon!), hail, thunder, children, etc.

One thing though- i cannot fall asleep unless I'm lying down. Not in airplane seats, cars, chairs or anything else besides something resembling a bed. It makes traveling exhausting.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
    Thankfully I'm a really heavy sleeper. I live in the city 2 blocks from the fire station on a corner, so there's a lot of traffic noise. It would be so annoying to be woken up by every passing truck and police car. I sleep through car alarms, loud drunk people, prison break siren tests (every Saturday at noon!), hail, thunder, children, etc.

One thing though- i cannot fall asleep unless I'm lying down. Not in airplane seats, cars, chairs or anything else besides something resembling a bed. It makes traveling exhausting.
    theres a fire station on my street too. surprisingly, that rarely wakes me up. my brain seems to ignore traffic noises.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    theres a fire station on my street too. surprisingly, that rarely wakes me up. my brain seems to ignore traffic noises.
    i can't imagine not sleeping through the night. do you wake up and go right back to sleep or do you have to get up and do stuff in the middle of the night? i have a friend who never sleeps and i always find her at 3 am sketching or riding the stationary bike. that sounds awful.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
    i can't imagine not sleeping through the night. do you wake up and go right back to sleep or do you have to get up and do stuff in the middle of the night? i have a friend who never sleeps and i always find her at 3 am sketching or riding the stationary bike. that sounds awful.
    i usually just look around my room, at the clock, then roll over and fall asleep pretty quickly (provided it's quiet). so it's not too bad.

that would suck. i get so grumpy when i don't get enough sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    discuss.

if you're a light sleeper, do you use any kind of sleep aids? eg. white noise machines, ear plugs, face mask etc

i'm a really irritatingly light sleeper. i need complete silence in the house in order to fall asleep, and then the smallest noise, amount of light, or even smell will wake me. i can't remember the last time i slept straight through the night.
    Not sure. I mean, I can't fall asleep without noise, but I can't listen to music or white noise to fall asleep, it bothers me. It has to just be background noise, like a tv or people or something, if it's totally silent I can't fall asleep easily. Also, if it's totally 100% pitch black in my room I can't sleep either. But a little light coming in from under the door or my laptop screen or my tv screen light is enough for me.
    I can easily fall asleep in a room with a tv on and the lights on.
    Once asleep I sleep pretty deeply, but if someone knocks on my door or comes into my room it wakes me up. I'm a weird sleeper I think hahaha.
    "A light in the middle of the f***ing sky! yeah, that's brilliant!"

"Maybe, just maybe, he was an English teacher. Learn to spell and he'll go away!"

Once I am asleep it's heavy, the only thing that can really wake me up is some one prodding me or something.

I'm such a light sleeper. I don't even know what wakes me up half the time, it'll be the middle of the night and I'll just naturally wake up. I'm generally up at least 2 or 3 times during the night, and I'm usually up anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours which kinda sucks but I usually just goof around on my iPod or write or something. I absolutely cannot sleep if there's noise or light or if I'm in a different location than usual, which tends to make sleepover situations awful. I don't use any natural sleep aids but I'll pop some sleeping pills if I'm feeling upset because feeling anxious and depressed while awake in the middle of the night isn't a great situation

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenRecord View Post
    I'm such a light sleeper. I don't even know what wakes me up half the time, it'll be the middle of the night and I'll just naturally wake up. I'm generally up at least 2 or 3 times during the night, and I'm usually up anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours which kinda sucks but I usually just goof around on my iPod or write or something. I absolutely cannot sleep if there's noise or light or if I'm in a different location than usual, which tends to make sleepover situations awful. I don't use any natural sleep aids but I'll pop some sleeping pills if I'm feeling upset because feeling anxious and depressed while awake in the middle of the night isn't a great situation
    I can never sleep well at sleepovers, but I think it's because all the places I sleep over they generally sleep in pitch darkness with no noise, and I share a bed with them, I really don't like sleeping in my friends beds, I don't know why, I wouldn't mind it as much, but they sleep next to me, I don't like sleeping next to people hardly ever. Unless it's my SO, I don't sleep well, not even if one of my siblings is sharing a bed with me, I still can't sleep well.
    "A light in the middle of the f***ing sky! yeah, that's brilliant!"

"Maybe, just maybe, he was an English teacher. Learn to spell and he'll go away!"

For the most part, I tend to be a heavy sleeper. But I have my times of light sleeping. I tend to get stiff joints (I have arthritis) in the middle of the night so if I don't move around in my sleep they'll start to hurt, so I WILL wake up. It sucks. If I do happen to get pain free sleep, then I'm very hard to awaken.
    A piece of my heart lies with my Golden, now and forever. RIP Teddy. I love you.
    06/14/2002-28/10/2010

Blog Entries
    i dunno. it takes a long time for me to sleep and i often use nature space to fall asleep. my room is completely silent + can't see your hand in front of your face at night dark. i like the darkness but it's tooo quiet so i use the app.

rob lives next to a busy road and his room has no curtains. that was annoying

i also sleep with noisy nocturnal rats (they wake up at about 2am) but they rarely wake me up throughout the night. i mostly wake myself up throughout the night with nightmares n stuff. or sometimes my stupid dog barking or the neighbours dumb baby crying

Quote Originally Posted by Bug View Post
    rob lives next to a busy road and his room has no curtains. that was annoying

i also sleep with noisy nocturnal rats (they wake up at about 2am) but they rarely wake me up throughout the night. i mostly wake myself up throughout the night with nightmares n stuff.
    No curtains are the worst! Before we moved in together, Ben would always sleep with his blinds rolled all the way up and with the window open. Being able to see outside is both annoying cause it's not dark and distracting when things move. Also, I hate being cold when I go to sleep, but I always wake up wishing that I had left the window open a crack.

I'd say I'm a heavy sleeper though. I also have loud nocturnal animals but they never wake me up or make it hard to fall asleep if I'm tired. I can sleep through anything other than my alarm (which doesn't make sense since I sleep through things like the smoke detector going off) and nightmares. I have nightmares a lot and I always have such a hard time falling back asleep (or convincing myself it's okay to sleep again) afterwards.
    Touch me, touch me, touch me, touch me! I want to be dirty!