Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hate crime?

Quote Originally Posted by AbbieHoffman View Post
    ugh, race on JB. When people say that whites cannot be a victim of racism, they're just talking about power relations. All of the 'isms' have to do with a majority group wielding more power and influence than a minority group. They are recognizing the fact that a majority group discriminating against a minority group has a far greater potential for negative ramifications than a less powerful minority group discriminating against a majority group. There's no need to get caught up on the little details of definitions and whether you agree with them or not. All races can certainly experience race based prejudice and discrimination...but the implications are completely different. If you want to call it racism against whites - fine. The different power relations between groups should just be recognized - that's the important point. This is what I've seen popsicle pirate saying. It always blows my mind that people think that white people can experience racism on the same level as black people given their history in the U.S. This could go on and on and on and on...but I really should study for finals.
    I don't know if you were referring to me or not, but Pp and I straightened it out. I had gotten the impression from her first post that she meant whites are unable to experience racism at all. Of course the severity and effects are completely different, I was never trying to imply that.
    "Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" Kaylee-Serenity

Some girl on the street asked if i was saved yet. I told her I saved at the checkpoint a couple minutes back and can reload from there if I die. She was confused.

Oh no, not you in particular - more of a general statement since I've read this exact argument on here numerous times.
    Yeah, there's always a lot of misunderstandings on this debate, haha.
    "Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" Kaylee-Serenity

Some girl on the street asked if i was saved yet. I told her I saved at the checkpoint a couple minutes back and can reload from there if I die. She was confused.

I agree that white racism is not on the same level as black racism, but I don't think we should be devaluing it either.
    You think you're all that, Kim Possible, but you're not!

l4m3r is offline Damn Straight, Biznatch! (look at me, I'm a script kiddie who can spoof form fields! I R T3H 1337 H4X0R L0L)
    Hate crime is thought crime.

If you beat the piss out of someone because they're black/white/gay/ginger/purple/whatever, you should be tried for beating the piss out of them, not for hating them. The legal notion of a "hate crime" is absurd and shouldn't even be on the books.

But, the laws ARE on the books, and it is indeed bull**** that people dismiss hate crimes if they're committed against white people. Yes, bias incidents against white people are not prevalent, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. Also, to interpret hate crime legislation as excluding protection of white people would violate the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment. Of course, it could be argued that the existence of hate crime laws in the first place should also be prevented by the equal protection clause.
    Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.

Blog Entries
    ugh, race on JB. When people say that whites cannot be a victim of racism, they're just talking about power relations. All of the 'isms' have to do with a majority group wielding more power and influence than a minority group. They are recognizing the fact that a majority group discriminating against a minority group has a far greater potential for negative ramifications than a less powerful minority group discriminating against a majority group. There's no need to get caught up on the little details of definitions and whether you agree with them or not. All races can certainly experience race based prejudice and discrimination...but the implications are completely different. If you want to call it racism against whites - fine. The different power relations between groups should just be recognized - that's the important point. This is what I've seen popsicle pirate saying. It always blows my mind that people think that white people can experience racism on the same level as black people given their history in the U.S. This could go on and on and on and on...but I really should study for finals.
    Examples, please.
    banshee (ˈbænʃiː, bænˈʃiː)
    — n
    (in Irish folklore) a female spirit whose wailing warns of impending death