Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread

lets talk about cruises

Have you ever been on one?
    I am trying to go on a cruise but i cant decide which one to go on. I don't want to go on one with a bunch of children, but it seems the ones that aren't flooded with children all have rooms that start at 700.

Tell me about your cruise experiences
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLRE6c6ntrg

I went on a cruise when I was 14. It sucked. 14 is the absolute worst age to go on a cruise. There are a ton of activities for kids and a ton of (lame) activities for adults. None for young teenagers. But even now, I wouldn't go on a cruise. I hear people's stories about them and think, "I could have driven an hour and done exactly that same **** for 1/4 of the price." I'd much rather actually travel.

This is totally just personal preference, of course. Lots of people love cruises. Don't know why.

I don't even know how old I was. But I thought it was awesome. Unlimited (delicious) pizza, unlimited frozen yogurt, a pool and just tons of places to run around and explore. But I didn't really go to any "events" on deck. In Mexico we went exploring and ziplining and it was just so much fun albeit insanely hot out. I also gained like 15 pounds lmao.
    Meow meow *skritch skritch*

Would you like your possessions identified? Y/N

I LOVE cruises. We've gone on one a couple of years ago, and I loved it. It was amazing. We're going on another in May. There's a lot to do during the day, if you're a fun-but-maybe-kitschy activity sort of person. Crafty things and such. At night, there's a few different bar areas on most boats, lots of shows, etc. I personally just love sitting on my private balcony and chilling. Carnival boats usually have an adults-only retreat sort of area with a few hot tubs. And most of the cruises we were looking at were about $600 for 5-7 days, that's with a balcony. We went with a more expensive one because my mom wanted to leave out of New Orleans and the cruises at the particular time we could go were more limited.
    Leah

Quote Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post
    I LOVE cruises. We've gone on one a couple of years ago, and I loved it. It was amazing. We're going on another in May. There's a lot to do during the day, if you're a fun-but-maybe-kitschy activity sort of person. Crafty things and such. At night, there's a few different bar areas on most boats, lots of shows, etc. I personally just love sitting on my private balcony and chilling. Carnival boats usually have an adults-only retreat sort of area with a few hot tubs. And most of the cruises we were looking at were about $600 for 5-7 days, that's with a balcony. We went with a more expensive one because my mom wanted to leave out of New Orleans and the cruises at the particular time we could go were more limited.
    So carnival is a good one?

Which all ones have you been on and which one was your favorite. When is the best time to go?
    Wow, a balcony room for 600? I have not come across any of those.. Not for less than like 800

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    So carnival is a good one?

Which all ones have you been on and which one was your favorite. When is the best time to go?
    Wow, a balcony room for 600? I have not come across any of those.. Not for less than like 800
    Most people say it's the poor man's cruise line, but we had nothing but a totally excellent experience.

Here's a 5-day Caribbean with balcony for $449. Not the best ports of call in my opinion, but I don't go for the shore days, really. I totally go so I can be waited on and such.

Keep in mind that it's $449 a person. They expect two people to a room, so it would be $900 total whether you were sharing a room or not.

EDIT: I went on this one.
    Leah

wo you're awesome, that is probably the best deal ive found so far. Maybe, miami is sooo far away!!. I can never figure out what dates these sites are talking about 9when it comes to the listed price). im a total idiot when it comes to this.

another question, with that website, when you book airfare, does that price include roundtrip flight?

and tell me, are balconies really worth the extra money as opposed to oceanview

wo you're awesome, that is probably the best deal ive found so far. Maybe, miami is sooo far away!!. I can never figure out what dates these sites are talking about 9when it comes to the listed price). im a total idiot when it comes to this.
    another question, with that website, when you book airfare, does that price include roundtrip flight?

and tell me, are balconies really worth the extra money as opposed to oceanview
    Yeah, I think ours left out of Galveston that time, and it was a heck of a drive. I can't imagine Miami. Shop around on that site, you'll get accustomed to how everything is listed.

No idea, we always drive, haha.

I think so. You have this private little outside nook to hang out on. It wouldn't be as nice if everyone was on theirs, since there's just a wall between your balcony and your neighbors', but most people are busy out on the boat or whatever. I spent a good amount of time on my balcony. But again, I'm going to relax. If you're going mostly for the shore excursions and the stuff on deck, it might not be. My mom's favorite thing is meeting people, ziplining, looking at ruins, etc. So she's not getting a balcony this go around, but she'll spend a lot more money on board and such to make up for it.
    Leah

i don't think i'll ever go on one. i don't see the point. i'd rather go somewhere and do stuff rather than being stuck on a boat.
    I don't like pickles

Quote Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post
    Yeah, I think ours left out of Galveston that time, and it was a heck of a drive. I can't imagine Miami. Shop around on that site, you'll get accustomed to how everything is listed.

No idea, we always drive, haha.

I think so. You have this private little outside nook to hang out on. It wouldn't be as nice if everyone was on theirs, since there's just a wall between your balcony and your neighbors', but most people are busy out on the boat or whatever. I spent a good amount of time on my balcony. But again, I'm going to relax. If you're going mostly for the shore excursions and the stuff on deck, it might not be. My mom's favorite thing is meeting people, ziplining, looking at ruins, etc. So she's not getting a balcony this go around, but she'll spend a lot more money on board and such to make up for it.
    thank you, you've been so helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovepickles11 View Post
    i don't think i'll ever go on one. i don't see the point. i'd rather go somewhere and do stuff rather than being stuck on a boat.
    but they take you to different tropical countries!

oh wow i didnt realize they were so cheap. u know a beach condo in a crappy area starts at 1000 a week, right? i guess thats not per person though. could you room with a rando? lawl. i think i was gona go on one once but i didnt have a passport or something dumb
    the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Blog Entries
    I love cruises. I went on one just a month ago. 7 Day/6 Night, New York to the Caribbean.

As far as cruise lines go, Carnival is my favorite, Celebrity has the best food, and Norwegian wasn't anything special. I honestly prefer to not have a balcony, sitting out on them make me a little uncomfortable when the boats moving because its whizzing by way too fast and makes me feel...off. Theres really no difference in size between the rooms with balconies, ocean views, and inside cabins. My thought process with this is that I'd much rather get an inside cabin, save a few hundred bucks, and put that towards excursions when I'm at port. Because really, how much time do you plan to spend in your room...You should be out having fun. Same goes for deck number. The cruise I went on last month, I was on the 4th deck (cheapest), but I was only in the room to sleep. Plus, the higher up decks your on, the more the boat rocks. Theres little to no rocking on the 4th floor. This isn't like the Titanic where being on the bottom of the boat means you're 3rd class, cruises are a privilege.

As for the children thing, you are going to have children running around no matter when you go. Regardless of the time of the year you go. You'd think there wouldn't be many kids on cruises during the school year, but apparently its okay to miss school to go on a vacation nowadays. As long as you don't go on like a Disney cruise, I think you will be fine as far as feeling taken over by the youngins.
    http://michellyyyy.blogspot.com/