Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: perks from jobs

Blog Entries

perks from jobs

what do you get?

eg. my mums an orthodontists assistant so my braces were free and we have an endless supply of toothpaste/toothbrushes/whitening crap/every other dental thing.

my dads an electrician so he does all that stuff. we never have to replace lightbulbs coz we have ridic ones that last 70 years or something absurd like that. he works for a big tv company and is always finding random stuff at work to bring home cause they throw out perfectly good stuff as soon as the latest model is out. eg. my computer chair is a fancy massage chair he found there, my bravia tv, our ironman ironing board, my drawers, our vacuum cleaner and all this other neat random crap. it's all near new, companies waste so much stuff. but cool for me.

i used to work at the movies so got to watch all the movies. that was cool. i really hate paying for movies now. $15 ugh, daylight robbery.

with my current job i get free clothes/shoes/jewellery fairly often but they're usually not my style. i also get a lot of make up and hair products which i get to choose so that part is cool

your turn!

A 10%-15% employee discount. Does not apply to household items (such as toilet paper, detergent, or anything you'd actually need), or electronics. And if you have a baby, well sucks to be you because it doesn't apply to any of that either.
    Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

my mom works at weight watchers so my parent's house always has a billion weight watchers food products. it's actually pretty good and like 200-300 calories a meal so i used to eat them often.

my dad was an IT manager so we always had tons of extra computers and computer parts. i worked at the same company and stole/"borrowed" tons of stuff. i got my old laptop there and a desktop computer that i turned into a server. my iPhone 4 also came from that company - they ordered a bunch and bell sent an extra, so i just took it home and didn't tell anyone.

now my dad owns a vending machine business so my parent's house is overflowing with boxes of snack foods and piles of change.

my current job makes software for the co-packaging industry... a lot of our customers package candy products so around halloween, easter and christmas we get like 10 boxes of free chocolate and candy. our company also lets us bring non-disruptive pets to work, buys us lunch every so often, hosts pub nights, and fills the fridge with free beer for us to drink.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

I get 50% discount if I'm working. Yippee. As for my parents, I don't know what their perks are. Probably just standard stuff like insurance and vacation days.
    You think you're all that, Kim Possible, but you're not!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    my mom works at weight watchers so my parent's house always has a billion weight watchers food products. it's actually pretty good and like 200-300 calories a meal so i used to eat them often.
    oh what?? why didn't you bring me any. i go through so many packets of the chocolate pudding/jelly/custard mixes

i guess i didn't bring you any toothpaste. okay okay, forgiven.

i wish i got a percentage off at grocery stores. i feel like i spend so much of my money there. my dad is a district manager for a car repair chain so i get free oil changes and 20% off anything else. i can also butt in line if i go to one of his stores but i never do because its awkward and id rather ppl not get pissed at me.

the best things from my job are probably my blackberry and my corporate cc/expense account. i wish i didnt have a contract for another year on this dumb other phone for 80 bucks a month. when we travel i get to put anything i want on my corporate card which is nice. we cant order alcohol at lunch though it has to be after 3pm . we get discounts on random **** with partner companies but since our hq is in columbus i dont really get any of that.
    the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I get a pretty good discount on most of our products. I'll be getting a Macbook Air for really cheap in the summer, which is super exciting. I also get access to a lot of learning material by PeachPit for our stuff, which I also love. Our Creatives send out weekly tips, and they've helped me use my iPhone for a lot more things. We get jackets and thermoses and things with the Apple logo regularly, which I guess a lot of people find lame, but I love it haha. My Apple jacket is my favorite jacket, just because it's a nice quality jacket. A lot of times I try to hide the logo, though. Just because I don't like to shout out where I work all of the time.

Ah and we get discounts at a loooot of places. One of my coworkers just spent a week in California, and her + her two kids stayed at a Hilton for about $30 a night.
    Leah

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorShoeboxOfLies View Post
    I do like getting the discount, even if it is small. There are certain things I don't buy in the Kroger brand, just because I prefer the brand name. But otherwise, I buy a lot of Kroger stuff. Plus, I work in one of the newer stores (opened in 2008) that is actually quite nice and gigantic, so there is far more selection and better quality at this store than my other one. I only get 15% off typically during holiday times.

Another perk is that no matter how many points I have on my card, I always get at least 10 cents off a gallon of gas because I'm an employee. During the holiday times, I normally get 30 cents off every gallon (that's how it was this past holiday season).
    dude the kroger brand has some pretty awesome stuff. they have the best flavors of yogurt and soda. i try to shop there as much as possible so i can save my 10 bucks on gas a month haha
    the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorShoeboxOfLies View Post
    I do like getting the discount, even if it is small. There are certain things I don't buy in the Kroger brand, just because I prefer the brand name. But otherwise, I buy a lot of Kroger stuff. Plus, I work in one of the newer stores (opened in 2008) that is actually quite nice and gigantic, so there is far more selection and better quality at this store than my other one. I only get 15% off typically during holiday times.

Another perk is that no matter how many points I have on my card, I always get at least 10 cents off a gallon of gas because I'm an employee. During the holiday times, I normally get 30 cents off every gallon (that's how it was this past holiday season).
    I work there! I will probably try harder to buy Kroger stuff, I don't think I have the discount yet since I just started.

Albi Guest
    My mom works membership at Costco, so anything that comes back gets marked off ridiculously low. I end up getting a lot of my clothes for less than 1/4 of their original price. Also, I get a free membership.
    I get no perks from my dads work. He use to be at a linen company, and so he would find lots of money/jewelry that people forgot in their pockets and then distribute it between my brother & I at the end of each month. Now he's a janitor so...

I don't get anything free from my work, and I don't know what I would need with pints of blood anyway, haha. I guess a perk is that I work mobiles. So I could be on the bus for 2 hours going to the out of town clinic, and 2 hours back, and be paid for all the travel time. Get paid to listen to my Ipod for 4 hours, pretty sweet

I get 2 bottles of wine free this summer at my job. I'm stoked.
    Mikaela.

When I was working full time at the vet clinic I got crazy deals on everything there. I got "kennel packs" of food (So, getting a $100 bag of food for $60), 'at cost' discount on vaccines and such (without mark up) and alot of the time I got the exam fees waived because the vets just checked my animals over quickly. I got free 'expired' meds that were essentially still good but couldn't be sold. My dog needed a major orthopedic surgery on her leg and I only had to pay the surgeon's fees; not the clinic fees (saved like $2000). I worked there for 5 years though.

No perks from my parents jobs.
    I get 50% off clothes in my store, and a uniform allowance twice a year.
    I could never afford the clothes in my store even at 50% off, but the free clothes will come in handy for interviews and stuff.
    Its not denial.
    I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

I suppose it was cool that my dad traveled a lot. We always got tons of presents from Europe, the Middle East, and Central America. Fun Christmas parties, picnics, and things when I was younger.

Mom's job...it's the only reason we have two computers?

I work in a bakery, so I occasionally take desserts home. And I've made a few cakes lately that require fondant, molds, and things and I can just take whatever I want from work.

My mom used to work at an outdoor shop owned by a family friend. She used to get brand names like Patagonia, Northface, Smartwool, Orage and way more at cost minus 50%. We could order right from the catalogue and get things that the store wasn't even getting. For Christmas one year I got my boyfriend a snow suit worth $900 for only ~$250, we all have really nice sets of long underwear, really nice hiking backpacks and tents and other things. I was so sad when she quit but she makes way more as a nurse lol.

We also used to get lots of computers because my dad is a software programmer and would always take his old computers home when he got a new one at work. Our house always had 3-4 computers growing up, our friends loved it.