Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

For those of you with tattoos,

how have people in your life reacted to you getting it/them?

Especially if you have more than one. I have one currently, and I'm really debating getting another in the fall. I just don't want to be deemed trashy.
    Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I am not living.

nobutreallyguys.tumblr.com, yo

I have one relatively small one and everyone likes it. Except my mother who I have neglected to tell for the past... 4 years. Oops.
    -This too, shall pass.-

DoTheDamnThing Guest
    No one has ever made any negative comments to my face...other than my mom whining about them and maybe random comments about what if I don't like it when I'm old. Typical things.

I have 2 and unless I tell you/show you, you probably wouldn't know I have them since they're in spots almost always covered.

Strawberrie Guest
    Why does it matter what people will think of you or how people react to it?
    If you want a new tattoo get it. If you don't, don't. Tattoos are art, not fashion. If you love your potential future tattoo then it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks is trashy or not because you'll be happy to see it everyday and they won't have to look at it if they don't want to.

I have 2 big tattoos and one little one. Some people love them, and some hate them. It's your body and it's about what you want and like, not how random people feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberrie View Post
    Why does it matter what people will think of you or how people react to it?
    If you want a new tattoo get it. If you don't, don't. Tattoos are art, not fashion. If you love your potential future tattoo then it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks is trashy or not because you'll be happy to see it everyday and they won't have to look at it if they don't want to.

I have 2 big tattoos and one little one. Some people love them, and some hate them. It's your body and it's about what you want and like, not how random people feel.
    you're right, I just wanted to know how people reacted to you guys getting them. With the one I have, some people love it and some people think it's silly. But I love it and I definitely don't regret it. I just find people's reactions to tattoos really interesting. It's in a place mainly hidden, as would my next one, unless I was at the beach or something. But at the same time, I also prefer people not immediately losing respect for me.
    Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I am not living.

Blog Entries
    I have one on my wrist that is visible at all times, unless I wear a bracelet to cover it. I've received only positive compliments on it, except from my closest friend who hates tattoos. My mom actually went with me to get it, so she approves lol. It is in memory of my dad, so it is very special to me. If someone were to say something rude about it, I would just laugh in their face and roll my eyes. As I've gotten older, my care for what others think of me has gone down significantly. It's a little ink, I don't get why people make such a big deal about people with visible tattoos.
    RIP Dad. I miss you. <3

Albi Guest
    I have 5 and will be having more added to one on my birthday in May.

I don't think tattoos are trashy in general. It depends what you get and how it's done. If you get something like, "Sassy Princess", that might be a little trashy.
    I know plenty of people from all walks of life with body art. Even ones with respectable careers and lifestyles, such as the nurses I work with

My grandma's not a fan, but everyone else thinks they're neat. My dad loves tattoos and took me to get my first couple, and my mom doesn't really care either way...she's mostly just concerned with how much they hurt. My tattoos are very easily hidden though, so they don't affect my work/school life. However, I used to have a tramp stamp (heart with wings...15 year olds shouldn't get tattooed) and I felt like I got judged a lot for having that. But since I got it covered up, I show it off.
    the best way to predict the future is to create it.

I have had very mixed reviews haha. I told my parents I was going for a small tattoo, i came back and my dad was like :O "Thats a small tattoo (pointing at the butterfly) and thats a big tattoo (pointing at the rest)". Needless to say they have never been fond lol. But it's been so long, everyone is just used to it now.
    Its not denial.
    I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

i have 3 tattoos, however you'd never even know I have them because they're almost always hidden. (foot, thigh, spine).
    My tattoos have a lot of meaning, and most people show a very positive reaction to them, especially when hearing the story for them.
    My mom wasn't too thrilled about my 2nd one because it was bigger than she expected, but she likes it now and is even considering getting one of her own. My dad has tattoos so he doesn't care.
    Dressed to kill.
    R.I.P. K.C.
    +6000 posts.

I have a bunch of big tattoos and no one (except my dad who doesn't count lol) has ever said anything negative. Eyebrows were raised when I got my chest piece for sure but everyone still complimentEd it. I don't give a damn what people say so even of negative comments were said, it wouldn't change anything... I still love them and I still plan on getting tons more.

I have 8, 4 that are visible in certain clothes(shoulders and my leg) and I have 4 that aren't seen unless I'm in a bathing suit or something.

My mom hates tattoos, and often insists that the colds/random sicknesses I get are due to my tatttoos(Yes, I know it makes no sense.)

My friends all seem to like them. They say mine make them want to get some/get more.

Strangers CONSTANTLY walk up and say something about one of them. Always positive things.

I have a pretty young/innocent face despite being 22, and if you don't meet me and see my tattoos people tend to be shocked that I have any because I dont seem like the "type" so maybe that's why I don't really hear anything negative..
    Previous Usernames-
    Poprocks & Coke
    Overkill
    IHopeUChoke&Die
    FailureByDesign

I have 1 & want like 2 more. My mom loves it & my dad doesnt really care. My moms side love it aswell but my dads side doesnt know about it, cause apparently my poppy would hall out the family tree & point out how everyone in the family never had a tattoo ..
    Anyways, people dont see it unless I wear a tanktop, but I always get positive comments cause its small and not too flashy.
    But who cares cause I love it (:
    You see only what I choose to show, so dont judge me unless you know me~*

Formerly :
    OwlCityInsider

I have one on my upper arm (nearly on my shoulder), symmetrical ones on either side of my chest just under my collarbone, and just today I got one on my ribcage.

I've never gotten any negative feedback about having tattoos or where they are (except from my mother, like everyone else said, which doesn't count). The only thing I've gotten is when I tell people the one on my arm is a Harry Potter tattoo, they think that's a silly think to have permanently in my skin and tell me I'm going to lose interest in Harry Potter and not want it there anymore.

So long as you don't get something really out there (like George Clooney's face across your back, or a Harry Potter scar on your forehead) it probably won't be an issue. The only thing I would say is that place like the sides/front of your neck, your hands, and of course your face are typically the most 'frowned upon' because everyone will tell you they will prevent you from getting a job.

But yeah, for the most part people compliment me on them. I've had guys and girls think they're sexy too, hah.
    You need m'lovins!

I've been a member of this site on and off for over seven years under different user names. =]

"You know, I sometimes think we sort too soon..."

Quote Originally Posted by TizzyTimebomb View Post
    I have one on my upper arm (nearly on my shoulder), symmetrical ones on either side of my chest just under my collarbone, and just today I got one on my ribcage.

I've never gotten any negative feedback about having tattoos or where they are (except from my mother, like everyone else said, which doesn't count). The only thing I've gotten is when I tell people the one on my arm is a Harry Potter tattoo, they think that's a silly think to have permanently in my skin and tell me I'm going to lose interest in Harry Potter and not want it there anymore.
    Oooh post pictures? I wanna see the HP tattoo! Mine's Lion King, so I also get the "that's silly" comment or look a lot, before I explain how much of a thing it's been in my whole life.