Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

for those of you who have had iv sedation....

Whats it like? How do you feel? The dentist said I may or may not fall asleep (I'm finally going through with it and getting my wisdom teeth out on Monday) and right now I'm more scared of the sedation than the procedure.
    Tell me your experiences pleases

i composed a nice synopsis of the experience on steph's wisdom tooth thread.
    but pretty much the sedation was chillin'. i was scared of the needle, it went in and i was fine, i thought about how weird it felt that there was a needle in my arm, and a few seconds later i was out. don't stress it gurl, u got dis on lock
    cheeerios.tumblr.com

Tokyo Guest
    i dunno if i had the same drug but i fell asleep. all i remember was keeping my eyes wide cause i tried to fight it, i wanted to feel the high but i guess my blink turned into me knocked out.

I was out before they even had me start counting, though I came out of it really badly.

It's cake. Highly unlikely you'll even remember anything. It's a little cold when they inject the sedation medicine, but after about five seconds, you'll be out.
    "Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" Kaylee-Serenity

Some girl on the street asked if i was saved yet. I told her I saved at the checkpoint a couple minutes back and can reload from there if I die. She was confused.

i was sedated when i had my wisdom tooth removed a few weeks ago. they put the needle in my arm and i sat there looking at them thinking "what the hell this isn't working." then next thing i knew, i was waking up in a different room with a bunch of gauze stuffed in my mouth.

it wasn't scary, actually it was kinda cool. i didn't feel disoriented at all, just pleasantly high when i awoke.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

kayt Guest
    i got my wisdom teeth out a few months back and i was SUPER nervous because i'd never had surgery before nor had i ever been sedated etc

but they gave me some pill to take beforehand while i was still at home which helped calm me down so by the time i got there i already felt a little bit 'warm and fuzzy' and did not have a care in the world. i don't even remember any pain from the iv, i just remember squeezing a ball so they could find the vein and it wasn't long after that, that i fell asleep. i really thought i would have an anxiety attack because i thought it would be similar to fainting (becoming disorientated and tunnel visions etc) but it wasn't like that at all. it was very similar to just falling asleep in your bed and waking up a few hours later.

They give you a list of things NOT TO DO afterwards. Make sure you read it! I didnt and I did everything on it haha. I hung out with my friends right after because we had made huge plans and I couldnt skip out on them. We rowed a boat to the middle of the lake. I was dying though and felt like I had to throw up the whole time.
    Member since the "yellow boards" :]

I had it when I had my wisdom teeth out, and it was nothing. I was completely out: they put the needle in (which I hardly felt), and then I woke up. It felt basically like coming out of a deep sleep. I felt a little slow/disoriented after, but only for a couple of minutes.
    What happens in the heart simply happens.

i have 3 times. once for my wisdom teeth, once for a colonoscopy/endoscopy, and again for when i got an abortion. The first time i was really scared because i read somewhere that iv sedation is the closest to being dead a living person could feel. they just make you count down, then a few hours later you wake up. its the only time i've been asleep without dreaming which was kind of weird but whatever.
    But you got a heart so big, it could crush this town. And I can't hold out forever, even walls fall down.

"You're not gunna get in my head"
    "I'm already in your head"

Quote Originally Posted by sideout View Post
    They give you a list of things NOT TO DO afterwards. Make sure you read it! I didnt and I did everything on it haha. I hung out with my friends right after because we had made huge plans and I couldnt skip out on them. We rowed a boat to the middle of the lake. I was dying though and felt like I had to throw up the whole time.
    yeah, you'll want to lay down and just veg for the rest of the day. i felt pretty nauseous for 4-5 hours whenever i tried moving around too much.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I don't even remember it really. They had the TV on and the last thing I remember is saying something about Enrique Iglesias, then I just went out, haha. But I had a really hard time staying awake afterwards. They kept telling me to stay awake this time, but it was the first time I actually remembered waking up.
    -Leah

I've had it a total of 5 times, most recently last week. They gave me a saline solution because i was dehydrated then administered both anaesthetics through the IV and told me it would hit me in a minute, last thing i remember is saying "i can already feel it!" 5 seconds after he put them in lol. Then i woke up in recovery asking the nurse for my boyfriend and mom, then i asked my boyfriend the same questions like 6 times and kept wondering how my stuffed animal got to me lol.

It's really no big deal at all! Don't be scared!

Quote Originally Posted by iloveparamore View Post
    Whats it like? How do you feel? The dentist said I may or may not fall asleep (I'm finally going through with it and getting my wisdom teeth out on Monday) and right now I'm more scared of the sedation than the procedure.
    Tell me your experiences pleases
    Well, my dentist started with laughing gas to calm me down since I am phobic of dentists and have the worst gag reflex ever. After the gas kicked in they calmly said "Now, we are gonna put your wrists in these restraints so you don't move them during the procedure, and I was starting to get loopy and was just like "Yeah, that's a great idea!" then they put some plastic thing in my mouth, I guess to hold it open? I don't really know, I was loopy and was feeling it with my tounge, Then the lady just goes "Here comes the needle!" and I felt a slight sting and my whole arm just got really warm, like, it radiated outwards from where she put the iv in, then I went back to feeling the plastic thing with my tounge, and then nothing. Haha, I have no recollection of falling asleep, or of being woken up, I just recall afterwards I had an ice pack on my face and some nurse was helping me in a wheelchair. Apparently I profusely thanked all the nurses. And I never saw the doctor, he wasn't in the room when I went to sleep, and was out of the room by the time I woke up. It only took about 20 minutes to remove my tooth, but I thought I had been out for hours. I don't remember getting wheeled out, or getting in the car, or the ride home. I remember when we got in my driveway I was somehow texting on my phone, and trying to get out of the car and walk myself and was told I was telling my friend she was soft and was hugging her arm and ****.
    I also remember my big brother sent me a text that said "How much time is in your wallet" messing with me, then I ate some ice cream, and fell asleep. I don't know how I got to my room, but when I woke up, three of my friends and my brother were in my room, gave me some birthday presents, and started building a shelf I had gotten, I fell asleep watching them do that.

TL;DR
    It didn't hurt, I fell asleep at some point, and don't recall alot of what happened in the span of when the IV went in to when I woke up at home in my bed.
    "A light in the middle of the f***ing sky! yeah, that's brilliant!"

"Maybe, just maybe, he was an English teacher. Learn to spell and he'll go away!"

Oh man getting put under for my wisdom teeth was so awesome. I don't remember the high at all afterwards (I just sat and stared at the wall in the dentist's office until it wore off, lol) but I do remember it feeling like the best nap ever.
    You think you're all that, Kim Possible, but you're not!