Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread

My rice is STILL hard!!

What the hell?! I followed the directions on the rice bag perfectly, slow cooked it for almost a half an hour (it's only 2 cups!), it looks mushy and everything, but it's still fuc.king hard!!!

What the hell am I doing wrong?
    I pop no style, I'm strictly rude.

Quote Originally Posted by hot_pink_underwear View Post
    What the hell?! I followed the directions on the rice bag perfectly, slow cooked it for almost a half an hour (it's only 2 cups!), it looks mushy and everything, but it's still fuc.king hard!!!

What the hell am I doing wrong?
    I don't know.
    I suck at cooking rice and mine always comes out like that.
    So I don't cook rice very often.
    There ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mego View Post
    I don't know.
    I suck at cooking rice and mine always comes out like that.
    So I don't cook rice very often.
    It shouldn't be this hard for me to cook rice! But on the other hand my boyfriend is having just as much trouble getting the grill to stay lit downstairs. Haha
    I pop no style, I'm strictly rude.

You need to thoroughly wash the rice before cooking, because its always SOOO starchy, and then let it soak in water for a couple minutes. THEN start cooking it, or else it'll turn out hard like that. Water wise, if you are cooking stove top or rice cooker, you need to put the water so its about 2cm above the amount of rice that is in the pot.

I'm half azn, I know my rice

Jinx Guest
    I don't understand how so few people (it seems) don't know how to cook rice.

Say you're cooking one cup of rice.

Put 2 cups of water in a small pot, let it boil. Once it boils pour in 1 cup of rice. Turn the heat down, let it simmer. Leave the lid on. Don't lift the lid for like, 15 minutes. Stir the rice, see how much water is left. If there's still water, put the lid back on, keep it a cookin. If there isn't water, taste it and see if it's ready to eat. If there's no water, and it's still hard.. add a little more water and put the lid back on for another few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorKate View Post
    You need to thoroughly wash the rice before cooking, because its always SOOO starchy, and then let it soak in water for a couple minutes. THEN start cooking it, or else it'll turn out hard like that. Water wise, if you are cooking stove top or rice cooker, you need to put the water so its about 2cm above the amount of rice that is in the pot.

I'm half azn, I know my rice

*Like* Washing it first is really important.

How asians measure our rice to water ratio is that we put the amount of rice we need in the pot and push our palm down on it. The water should cover your hand and only just hit your wrist. Also, you should avoid opening the lid because that ruins the rice. Its supposed to be nicely steamed.
    Member since the "yellow boards" :]

Get a rice cooker for $10. Problem solved, haha.
    Leah

I use microwaveable rice, three minutes and it's done

you lose
    cheeerios.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by GTFO View Post
    you lose
    lmao

i love how half of your comments are normal/serious and the other half of your comments are so troll-y