Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Long vs. short prom dresses

Do you think seniors should wear long dresses to prom? At my school it ultimately doesn't really matter but it's kind of expected that the senior girls wear long dresses while the juniors can wear whatever.

What do you think? What did yo/ are you wearing?

Long for sure! It's your senior prom, you got to wear short dresses for all the other dances.

I wore this
    I want to grow. I want to be better. You grow. We all grow. We're made to grow. You either evolve or you disappear. - Tupac

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure.

Lullaby Guest
    long for sure. hardly any opportunities to wear a long dress, you can wear short little cocktail dresses anywhere.

Long looks more formal. Short dresses are for other dances that aren't such a big deal. I wore a full length, one shoulder gown, and it had a slit at one side and slightly ruffled. It was sparkly and a couple shades of blue - darker at the top and faded to lighter blue towards the bottom.

This is the closest thing I could find to what it looked like. The style is eactly the same as that.

Wear whatever you feel your best in, long or short.

That being said, it's more formal to wear long. You won't have a hundred more opportunities to wear a long dress, whereas you can wear party dresses more often.
    It is the techno way.

we dont have 'prom' here, we just have grad, and its not so super formal. Prob about half the girls wore short dresses, myself included. I dont think there should be rules or anything, and you should be allowed to wear a short dress if you want. I find alot of the longer dresses either all look exactly the same (ie this one http://www.okbbaru.com/2009/09/a-lin...ing-dresses-1/ ) or really tacky looking with weird cut outs (http://www.promnightstyles.com/wp-co...dress-2010.jpg) .
    The sooner you let 2 hearts beat together, The sooner you'll know this love is forever, Love needs time now or never

cumberbatch Guest
    Long is more formal, but hot damn it gets sweaty in long dresses. I wore a long dress to junior prom, as did all of my friends, but then we got smart senior year and wore short dresses, haha.

Then again, that was really the only time I ever wore dresses during the year, so if you've gone to a bunch of dances with short dresses, I'd probably go with a long one for prom-- might as well!

It just depends on where you live and the traditions. Here, almost every girl wears a princess dress. Full length, poofy, the whole nine yards. Girls who don't are usually the skanky ones.
    Leah

I wore a long dress both my junior and senior year because it felt more formal and I'll never really have the chance again, but it got SO HOT when I was dancing! Short dresses are definitely more practical because you can wear them again and they're usually comfier during prom.

Blog Entries
    I bought a short dress for three reasons:
    1) I'm short and stumpy, so those long straight dresses look weird on me.
    2) Big poofy dresses with a lot of glitz and glam cost tons of money, and shorter dresses are cheaper so I can stand out for less.
    3) I can have fierce shoes.
    SW: 147 lbs
    CW:
    GW: 125 lbs

Here it's very rare to see someone in a short prom dress. I'm not sure how it is everywhere else, but only the grade 12's and their dates are allowed to attend. The Grade 12 girls almost made an unwritten rule that only they can wear long dresses, as it's their prom; any younger girls going with their date should wear short. It's really the only time other than our wedding that we'll get to wear a ball gown type thing.
    nowtheworldisreal.tumblr.com

Yeah, the one thing thats kind of turning me off about long dresses is that it's going to get soooo hot while dancing lol.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Cook View Post
    Yeah, the one thing thats kind of turning me off about long dresses is that it's going to get soooo hot while dancing lol.

Thanks everyone!
    If you end up choosing a long dress, just make sure the fabric is light weight and maybe consider doing your hair in an up do so it's off your back/neck

Rock&Rose Guest
    If it's prom - wear a long dress, unless people in your school tend to generally wear short dresses

But when else are you going to get the oppurtunity to wear long dresses?

I had the chance of wearing three long dresses!

One in grade 11, one for grade 13 grad - but we went with a red carpet theme, and then i got invited to my friends prom.

Let me see if i can find dresses of all of us:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photo...68139_7802.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photo...13275_7698.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/4pwhdt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby James View Post
    I bought a short dress for three reasons:
    1) I'm short and stumpy, so those long straight dresses look weird on me.
    2) Big poofy dresses with a lot of glitz and glam cost tons of money, and shorter dresses are cheaper so I can stand out for less.
    3) I can have fierce shoes.
    This, exactly. I'm a junior and this is my first time going to prom but I'm getting a shot dress. I just don't like the long poofy princess dresses is all really.