Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    If two people were meant to be together...

    If two people were meant to be together (like soul-mates, I guess), do you think they would have a harder time getting together (like in those 80s movies where the guy has to work harder to get the girl or there are people in the way of the relationship) or do you think that it would be easier for the two to be together with maybe a few arguments here and there (like how some people say that if two people were "meant to be together", then they'd be together already)?

    Do people even believe in those terms now? Those terms such as "perfect for each other", "soul-mates", and "meant to be together"?

    What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,095
    Blog Entries
    7
    My boyfriend and I are meant to be. My family sees it, my friends see it, and my boyfriend saw it before I did. He used the phrase "my soulmate" in a letter he wrote to me. I personally didn't believe in soulmates until he said that but now I think I've found mine.

    Trust me, we have our own little obstacles--girls from his past to be more specific. But we're committed and want to be together, we're extremely happy, and we work. We don't have to MAKE it work, we just work perfectly together and what we have is real and at the end of the day that's all that matters.
    <3~11.21.2010~<3

    Proud to be a MASS-HOLE.

    \m/(>.<)\m/
    ROCK ON!

  3. #3
    cumberbatch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inwonderland View Post
    I don't believe in it. I think it's pretty dangerous thinking. I've known so many girls who have stuck with a crap boyfriend because he's her "soul mate" or "it's meant to be, it'll work it's self out". I don't think relationships are as complicated as some people make it out to be.
    x2. Of course there are people that are better suited for you than others, but I in know way believe that there's only one person out there for me.

    Plus, how depressing is it to believe in a soul-mate, and then have that person leave? It's just healthier all around to realize that there are tons of people you could potentially have a very happy and successful relationship with.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Amortentia View Post
    Plus, how depressing is it to believe in a soul-mate, and then have that person leave? It's just healthier all around to realize that there are tons of people you could potentially have a very happy and successful relationship with.
    Wow, I've never thought of it like that before. But then again, you could also believe that the person who left wasn't truly your "soul-mate" after all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoLimeVerbena View Post
    Wow, I've never thought of it like that before. But then again, you could also believe that the person who left wasn't truly your "soul-mate" after all.
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. If that person was your "soul mate" they wouldn't have left you in the first place.

  6. #6
    cumberbatch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoLimeVerbena View Post
    Wow, I've never thought of it like that before. But then again, you could also believe that the person who left wasn't truly your "soul-mate" after all.
    Yeah, but if you spend years believing that they are... it sort of screws with the concept of "soul-mate," you know? If you believe there's only one person out there for you, but then end up going through 3-4 people that you believe is your soulmate... it's almost a paradox, haha.

    Maybe I just think about things too much.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Inwonderland View Post
    Sounds like a cop out to me. If you whole heartedly believe that someone is your soul mate, how could that person leaving you walking away just mean that he isn't anymore? Wouldn't it make more sense that there aren't soul mates at all?

    When this topic is brought up there is always someone that brings this up, but I think it's a valid point: There are so many people in this world. What if your soul mate doesn't speak English and lives in Siberia? Or what about kids that die as infants?
    Exactly what I was thinking. What are anyones chances of actually meeting their soulmate when there are billions for people in the world?
    "You guys are basically dating. You went to the grocery store to get stuff to make tacos. You don't do that with someone you're just banging!"

    My best friend Brinny says, "Oh, she's just being Meli."

  8. #8
    I do not believe in one true loves. I think that there are many people out there that you would be equally compatible with (albeit not in the same way). Because, really, if there were true loves what is the chance that you're going to find him in your high school in grade 11? If you only get one, yours is probably in China since that's where most of the world's population is.

    I don't know if soul mates means the same as one true love. I do not believe in a soul, so I can't really believe in a soul mate.

  9. #9
    in·the·rain Guest
    No, I think that's a romanticised image of relationships. I don't really believe in having "the one" or people who are destined to be together - but relationships sometimes come about really naturally and other times you have to work hard for them initially. It's the same with good and bad relationships. I don't think there's much of a correlation.

  10. #10
    OffendedWarrior Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MonitorShoeboxOfLies View Post
    Romantic relationships are generally based on proximity. Given, the internet helps with that, but for the most part... people meet the people they date through something local (school, work, friends, bars, etc.). The idea that there is only one person in this entire giant world for you, and they happen to be in the same grade as you at the same school is a bit far fetched. Sure, that person might be amazing for you and you two will have a great relationship, but does that make them the one? Nah. The one could be in Greece making some baklava and you'll never actually meet him. Romance is based on proximity 98% of the time. So, it is a bit foolish to think you only have one person out there for you. I personally think there are a countless number of people that you can have fulfilling, lovely, healthy, great relationships with.

    An example of this would be my parents. When my mother graduated college, her first job that she got right out of school was working as an RD at a hospital in a small town in southern WV. She's from Ohio and had been living in Columbus the last five years for college, so she moved. She met my father. They married a year later and moved to where we currently live/where I grew up. My parents marriage is fantastic, it really is the kind of marriage that most people strive to have, and I definitely know I want something as healthy and satisfying as them when I get married. This wouldn't have ever happened if she didn't take that job and move, though. So, see, all proximity based.


    This for sure. Except my mothers moving all over the US didn't help her out in the long run.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,409
    Quote Originally Posted by ShallowBay View Post
    My boyfriend and I are meant to be. My family sees it, my friends see it, and my boyfriend saw it before I did. He used the phrase "my soulmate" in a letter he wrote to me. I personally didn't believe in soulmates until he said that but now I think I've found mine.

    Trust me, we have our own little obstacles--girls from his past to be more specific. But we're committed and want to be together, we're extremely happy, and we work. We don't have to MAKE it work, we just work perfectly together and what we have is real and at the end of the day that's all that matters.
    lol. isnt this your first relationship ever and like 6 months max?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,747
    The proximity thing Shoebox said. Partnerships are not magic. They are practical, and the more practical the happier they make us feel. This has been my mantra lately (shout-out to my friend getting married way too soon and not thinking about anything past the butterflies and the wedding!!!)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,095
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    lol. isnt this your first relationship ever and like 6 months max?
    ...we've actally been together for 3 months and a day. Yeah I know we seem crazy, young, and naive. But I personally can't see myself with anyone else (which I realize is partly because I havn't been with anyone else) but I don't feel the need to look around. I love where I am.

    He says he knew the second he saw me that he wanted to be with me and that the first time he kissed me he knew I was "it" for him. He's been ready to settle down for a couple years now. Which seems really odd for a nineteen year old guy to say but if you knew his past you'd understand.
    <3~11.21.2010~<3

    Proud to be a MASS-HOLE.

    \m/(>.<)\m/
    ROCK ON!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,095
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Inwonderland View Post
    I think it might be wise to slow down a little and look at this relationship from an outsiders point of view.

    You've been dating three months. That's nothing. So many things can happen. I get it, you're in the honeymoon phase where everything he touches turns to gold. But don't get too far ahead of yourself.
    Yeah we both get that. He's kinda the one who's pushing it along because he's so sure and so ready. I'm sure too, just not so ready. My grandfather actually started the BIG push and told him to have "that talk" with my father when my boyfriend met my family over Christmas break. He told my boyfriend he sees "something" in us--my grandmother also agreed. My boyfriend won't tell me eactly what was said, but the basic gist was the old couple telling us we're the marrying type.

    But we're not going to be stupid about it. We both know where we want to end up but we're not complete idiots.
    <3~11.21.2010~<3

    Proud to be a MASS-HOLE.

    \m/(>.<)\m/
    ROCK ON!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,543
    Quote Originally Posted by ShallowBay View Post
    ...we've actally been together for 3 months and a day. Yeah I know we seem crazy, young, and naive. But I personally can't see myself with anyone else (which I realize is partly because I havn't been with anyone else) but I don't feel the need to look around. I love where I am.

    He says he knew the second he saw me that he wanted to be with me and that the first time he kissed me he knew I was "it" for him. He's been ready to settle down for a couple years now. Which seems really odd for a nineteen year old guy to say but if you knew his past you'd understand.
    Youre in the hooneymoon phase, blinded by lust. It happens. Id slow down if i were you (in terms of getting to attached)
    God got a virgin pregnant by magic. If he's not playing by the rules; nor am I.

    BUS WANKER!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.