Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

What's the difference between antibacterial and antimicrobial soaps?

Help? I got my conch pierced today and I need antimicrobial soap to wash it with, according to the piercer. It totally slipped my mind to pick up any antimicrobial soap on my way home (cos it was hours later by that point), but I'm planning on picking some up tomorrow. For tonight, would antibacterial soap work or should I stick to the sea-salt half of cleaning it and wait till I can pick up antimicrobial soap tomorrow?
    I used to be SpasticSeamonkey.
    +4020 posts.

What's your deal, freaks?

Studies have supposedly shown that soaps containing antimicrobial active ingredients killed more bacteria than regular soap and water. It claims to target staphylococcus, streptococcus, etc.
    Sea salt and water should be fine for tonight. Some studies have shown that there is no difference between antibacterial soap, and antimicrobial soap in the number of bacteria that they kill.

I know such random shit, ha ha.
    "Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie_[Lied] View Post
    Studies have supposedly shown that soaps containing antimicrobial active ingredients killed more bacteria than regular soap and water. It claims to target staphylococcus, streptococcus, etc.
    Sea salt and water should be fine for tonight. Some studies have shown that there is no difference between antibacterial soap, and antimicrobial soap in the number of bacteria that they kill.

I know such random shit, ha ha.
    Useful random ****, though! So should I skip on the soap, or just settle for antibacterial soap (which apparently may or may not be just as good anyway) for tonight and get the right soap tomorrow?
    +4020 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Venatrix View Post
    Useful random ****, though! So should I skip on the soap, or just settle for antibacterial soap (which apparently may or may not be just as good anyway) for tonight and get the right soap tomorrow?
    Personally, I'd skip the antimicrobial soap. I've seen studies saying that it causes nerve damage.
    "Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are."

Blog Entries
    Personally, I'd skip the antimicrobial soap. I've seen studies saying that it causes nerve damage.
    Wtf! I think maybe I'll use it, but not as often as the guy said to. Just to be sure. I don't want nerve damage, but I also don't wanna completely **** over my piercing.
    +4020 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Venatrix View Post
    Wtf! I think maybe I'll use it, but not as often as the guy said to. Just to be sure. I don't want nerve damage, but I also don't wanna completely **** over my piercing.
    I think a combination of a little antimicrobial soap, and a sea-salt water mix, should be effective.

Sp3ctre Guest
    Strictly speaking, an antibacterial would target bacteria, while an anti-microbial would be a broad spectrum agent to kill bacteria, fungi (yeasts) and probably protozoa as well.

I avoid anti-bacterial products like the plague, as all they're really good at is selecting for tougher bacteria.

Salty water or iodine or savlon will be fine.

SoLetsPlayDoctorBabe Guest
    I think a combination of a little antimicrobial soap, and a sea-salt water mix, should be effective.
    Thats what I would do as well. If you don't have the antimicrobial soap don't just skip soap all together. I would at least use whatever you have til you can get what you need. The salt soak will also help with preventing an infection but it still needs to be cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp3ctre View Post
    Strictly speaking, an antibacterial would target bacteria, while an anti-microbial would be a broad spectrum agent to kill bacteria, fungi (yeasts) and probably protozoa as well.

I avoid anti-bacterial products like the plague, as all they're really good at is selecting for tougher bacteria.

Salty water or iodine or savlon will be fine.
    Hm, do some have some virucidal tendencies, as well? I know that for our disinfectants we use virucidal ones that have tuberculocidal qualities, but I am actually not sure on hand soap.

Yeah, we were actually discussing this in our clinical science course. We have to use an antibacterial soap while in the clinic, but for everyday handwashing, they said that just regular soap and water is the best idea.
    "Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" Kaylee-Serenity

Some girl on the street asked if i was saved yet. I told her I saved at the checkpoint a couple minutes back and can reload from there if I die. She was confused.

We use anti-microbial soap at work (I work in a retirement home), its very harsh on your skin and probably unnecessarily strong for a piercing. Last time I got a piercing they told me a gentle anti-bacterial like Spectro Gel would be best.

Frank Lapidus Guest
    My piercer always says epsom salt + warm water is the best, but antibacterial soap is also a good choice. She's never mentioned antimicrobial.
    Conch's suck to heal.