Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Poached eggs.

Poached eggs.

What is your favorite method for poaching eggs? I have been experimenting lately trying to poach the perfect egg. So far I have tried making them in a mug in the microwave, in a small bowl in the microwave and in a pot on the stove top. I like the stove top method the best so far, when I make them in the microwave they turn out to be a little too hard but if I don't cook them for the time recommended, the white part of the egg ends up being too runny.
    How come you never see a headline like "pyschic wins lottery" ?

For me making them in the microwave is usually a disaster, even in the egg poacher things they make. I think my microwave is incompetent.

Everyday for breakfast we make eggs on the stove. I put the pan on medium heat, add a bit of water and butter/oil, let it heat up, and then I put the eggs in and cover with the lid. I usually turn off the heat and let them sit for a bit longer when the yolks turn white, you can adjust this to how done you like them. And we get perfect eggs every morning!

I've only made them on the stove and they come out great.
    There ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good.

I make them on the stove, and I have one of those special egg poaching pans. I find the drop into water method more difficult.

Joanne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.PotatoHead View Post
    For me making them in the microwave is usually a disaster, even in the egg poacher things they make. I think my microwave is incompetent.
    Same here, they go rubbery.

I either bake eggs in the oven, or scrambled them with spinach and top with parmesan cheese.

I use this thing in the microwave and they come out perfect every time. I put them in for about 40 seconds on each side. If I don't flip them, they don't cook equally on both sides.
    http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...gg-Poacher.jpg
    "I've got everything you need: games for the Dreamcast, Playstation 1, and free smoovies."

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingPony View Post
    I use this thing in the microwave and they come out perfect every time. I put them in for about 40 seconds on each side. If I don't flip them, they don't cook equally on both sides.
    http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...gg-Poacher.jpg
    That's exactly what I had, I made sure to put a tiny bit of water and fork at the yolk a bit. It always exploded

The times I got it to work I think I did like 60 sec, and then 15sec again and again til they were cooked, flipping them at some point. And sometimes it managed to explode in the 15 sec before I could stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.PotatoHead View Post

Everyday for breakfast we make eggs on the stove. I put the pan on medium heat, add a bit of water and butter/oil, let it heat up, and then I put the eggs in and cover with the lid. I usually turn off the heat and let them sit for a bit longer when the yolks turn white, you can adjust this to how done you like them. And we get perfect eggs every morning!
    I tried this method and it works the best I have tried so far! Covering the eggs with a lid makes them cook sooooo much better. I still haven't perfected making them, but I'm getting very close to it. I have been making them every day for breakfast these past few days. Yesterday one of them was perfect! I'm getting better at them ahah. I think poached eggs are the most difficult kind of eggs to cook - they either come out perfect or a disaster lol
    How come you never see a headline like "pyschic wins lottery" ?

i tried to learn how to make them and wasted about two dozen eggs. the method i tried was just dropping them into boiling water. it was really hard and i screwed up like 90% of the time. the water has to be at the perfect temperature to instantly solidify the outside of the egg. and you have to crack it into the pot just so, so it doesn't disperse. i gave up eventually. i need to buy one of those special pans.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    i tried to learn how to make them and wasted about two dozen eggs. the method i tried was just dropping them into boiling water. it was really hard and i screwed up like 90% of the time. the water has to be at the perfect temperature to instantly solidify the outside of the egg. and you have to crack it into the pot just so, so it doesn't disperse. i gave up eventually. i need to buy one of those special pans.
    Simply dropping them into boiling water has always worked for me. I've always used a small pan, though.
    http://0.tqn.com/d/cookingequipment/..._Calphalon.jpg
    Are you using a pot?
    "I've got everything you need: games for the Dreamcast, Playstation 1, and free smoovies."

Simply dropping them into boiling water has always worked for me. I've always used a small pan, though.
    Are you using a pot?
    Whaa? I had no idea that could actually be done. I tried it, but the egg didn't hold together so I thought it was a dumb idea I had (I was using a pot). So a pan makes all the difference?

Are you using a pot?
    yeah i was. inspired by this thread, i made poached eggs this morning in a pan. i put just enough water to cover the egg, brought it to a boil, put the eggs in, reduced heat and covered. they turned out pretty good! some of the whites came apart but most of it solidified around the yolk.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

i make it the traditional way, just dropping them into water. I find it helps if you crack the eggs into a bowl first, and then pour from the bowl into the pot. I use one hand with a spoon to stir the water pretty quickly to create a mini cyclone thingy, and then drop the egg in with the other hand. Sometimes I like to eat eggs with soup (weird) and ive also poached an egg in soup lol.
    The sooner you let 2 hearts beat together, The sooner you'll know this love is forever, Love needs time now or never

Blog Entries
    i am the poached egg master, no white separation here. i drop it into the pot just before it starts bubbling

I boil the water then turn the heat down until it just stops bubbling; then add a bit of vinegar, drop in the egg and you're away laughing.

The vinegar's important. It holds it together.