Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cooking for one

Blog Entries

cooking for one

For the first time in my life I don't have a college meal plan and/or living with my parents. This leaves me to have to feed myself. I don't want to be that girl that eats cereal or canned soup every night, but I'm not a master chef either.

I guess I need basic meal ideas. The easier the better. The only restriction is that my roommate is allergic to seafood so none of that.
    http://michellyyyy.blogspot.com/

kayt Guest
    start off with a simple casserole. they're super easy to make, i'll share my favourite one for you right now:

you'll need:
    - salt / pepper (if you want)
    - paprika
    - boneless chicken breast
    - cheese
    - cream of mushroom soup
    - your choice of either broccoli or peas
    - your choice of pasta, i like bowtie or penne

lay the chicken breast in a pan of some kind, the one i use is made of glass and it's for casseroles. sprinkle salt and pepper and paprika over the chicken breast. next, pour the cream of mushroom soup over the chicken so it's covered completely (i usually have to use 2 cans cause i cook for 6 people). spread it around with a spoon or whatever you want to cover it evenly. after that, sprinkle shredded cheese of your choice over the chicken and mushroom soup (i like using marble but mozzarella or cheddar is good too). i like cheese so i tend to put a lot on. once you've sprinkled the cheese over the casserole, add the vegetable of your choice. i usually use broccoli but i've made it with peas and it's also really good. then you wanna pop it in the oven at about 350-400 degrees and cook it for about 30 to 35 minutes (depends on how hot your oven is i guess), or until the cheese is melted. make sure to stick a knife or tooth pick inside the chicken to make sure it's completely done.

i usually start boiling pasta when there's 10 or 15 minutes left on the casserole, then i serve it separately so it can be mixed together and you can add the amount of pasta you want to the casserole. the good thing about casseroles is that they are easy to customize, if you don't like a few ingredients, change some things around to the things you like.

http://www.soscuisine.com/?sos_l=en This website really helped me when I was in school. It makes a meal plan for you and gives you the options for like cooking for one, diabetes, low calorie, etc.

But I also did what Joanne said, and made a normal meal and froze the extras.

Rice and refried beans are a staple in my diet right now. I make a big pot of beans at the beginning of every week. The hardest thing about cooking for me and my bf is having more food than we can eat, and things that don't freeze well. Meals can be very simple, one of my favorite things to eat is grilled cheese and tomato soup. Eggs are healthy and easy, and eating a fruit or veggie at every meal will help stretch out what you cook.

I cycle a lot of meals that are pretty easy. I always eat a spinach and veggie salad with a light dressing with dinner and almost always with lunch. My meals are kind of small because 1) I've been watching what I eat lately and 2) I like to snack a lot, so what isn't listed in my meal that I eat is like chocolate, seed crackers, candy lol. Small amounts, but I can't eat big meals in addition to the things I like and expect to keep my figure.
    Breakfast:
    -Frozen fruit (strawberries, raspberries or blueberries), greek yogurt, grain cereal
    The nice thing about frozen fruit is that it lasts long and is cheap and convenient. Some people have qualms with frozen fruit but as far as I'm concerned, it's just as good.
    -Half a grapefruit (one grape fruit, two meals!)
    -Two eggs with toast
    -Pancake mix that you just add water to and some frozen berries on top

Lunch:
    -I do tons of things with Bulgur.

Add butter chicken sauce while you boil it, then throw in some green beans and chickpeas
    Add onion soup mix while boiling then throw in sausage, spinach, mushrooms and onions
    Brown the bulgur before boiling with some olive oil and cayenne spices, then boil and add bell peppers, spinach and zucchini
    Basically.. try any combo of spices, veggies and meat with it. It's a hearty grain so it's easy to make it vegetarian and not feel like you're missing out. Super versatile and keeps forever in your cupboards

-Perogies with a side salad
    -Triscuits w/ cheese, pickles and salami

Dinner:
    -Spaghetti squash w/ butter and pepper
    -Baked yam
    -Soup
    -Grilled chicken w/ grilled veggies

Yada, yada. I like my meals to be quick and easy, so just keep an eye on labels and sodium content for things you can just chuck onto a plate fairly fast and then throw a quick salad together with it.
    I always tell the girls never take it seriously. If you never take it seriously then you never get hurt. If you never get hurt then you always have fun, and if you ever get lonely you can just go to the record store and visit your friends. - Almost Famous