Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I just got Implanon (pics!)

Just got implanon today, I'm gonna show you guys pics and tell you about it in case someone is considering it.

my arm, before.
    my arm now, excuse that i look super tired and my arm look huge. the second one was taken from my webcam, so it looks like the opposite arm. it's on my left.

it's bruised from insertion, and I can feel the implant if i poke around my arm. if you can see the bruise, that's exactly where it is. I have to wear the gauze wrap for 24hours, and the bandaid over where they stuck it in for a few days.

They had me make an appointment for when i'm on my period, so I know that I'm not pregnant. It lasts for 3 years, but some women get it taken out before then because they can't handle the side effects (a lot get spotting in the first 3 months ughh)

Anyone have questions?
    It is the techno way.

Did you feel it being inserted or did they numb your arm? Please keep us/me updated on side effects. I'm super interested in it once I'm a bit older.

Quote Originally Posted by Caique View Post
    Seriously, thank you SO much for posting this. SO much!

AND:

How badly did it hurt? I mean, it obviously hurt, because you're bruised. But, was it excruciating? Oh, and how much did it cost you?

Gimme more info in general about your experience if you have the time. I am totally all ears.
    No problem, at least a few people are gonna be considering it I figure!

As for the insertion process, I was laying down with my arm bent at the elbow with my hand towards my head. THey prep with iodine, and then stick a needle with lidocaine into your arm, so you feel that (like a shot) and then wait a minute or two, and that area was totally numb. She inserted the implant and i couldn't feel ANYTHING. at all. like, i couldn't tell anything was even happening to my arm. then she put a bandage over the insertion site, and had me feel where it was in my arm (for reference). then gauzed me up, gave me informational stuff about removal and i was on my way!

I bruise easily, and it's not even too bad. I'll take more pics tomorrow to see if it gets better or worse.

As for cost, I'm not sure yet. I have super insurance through my parents, so we'd only get charged a small amount of the real cost and then that gets reimbursed anyways. Once the bill is mailed to
    me I can tell you the full cost and the insurance cost. : )

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird View Post
    Did you feel it being inserted or did they numb your arm? Please keep us/me updated on side effects. I'm super interested in it once I'm a bit older.
    My arm was totally numbed, couldn't feel it even a little. See above too.

I'm partially doing this to remember side effects. I'm annoyed at the thought of spotting a lot, but I bought liners and my boyfriend can just deal with it. haha.

They gave me a card (plastic sized like a credit card, it's in my wallet now) that says that I have implanon and when it was inserted, and has a phone number to call for a database of places to have it removed if i'm not at home (i'm in college, i don't even live in that state usually) which i thought was neato.
    It is the techno way.

BooMeringue Guest
    Yay another member on the implanon gang haha

I've had mine for over 2 years now, I'm gonna be sad when I have to get rid of it, although you can get another one put straight back in I think, but only for two years as I think you have to have a break after 5 years or hormones or something.

Mine bruised like that too, does yours hurt? Mine was sore for a few weeks actually, but wasn't too bad. I have a nice scar from where it got put in too lol

You wont necessarily spot, it depends on the individual. I have never spotted or had a single period since it got put in, however my sisters friend had a 4 month period before she got it removed! If you've been on BC pills and were fine with those I think you will be pretty similar on this.

my arm this morning, with the bandaid over the insertion site
    w/o the bandaid, you can see the little red insertion site.

honestly the most painful part of this whole process was taking off the bandaid. ouchy.

Quote Originally Posted by BooMeringue View Post

Mine bruised like that too, does yours hurt? Mine was sore for a few weeks actually, but wasn't too bad. I have a nice scar from where it got put in too lol

You wont necessarily spot, it depends on the individual. I have never spotted or had a single period since it got put in, however my sisters friend had a 4 month period before she got it removed! If you've been on BC pills and were fine with those I think you will be pretty similar on this.
    Mine doesn't hurt at all, not even a little sore. I scar easily so I def won't be surprised to see a little scar there. Ah well.

I hope I don't spot. Ideally I'd love to never get a period, but... I'd settle for not bleeding for weeks/months on end. That'd be such a waste of money, I'd be really disappointed. I never had any bad reactions to my BC pills, so I'm hoping for the best!

Also, from what my GYN told me there's no risk of antibiotic use lowering the effectiveness of this bc : )
    It is the techno way.

Just got my bill, $1052 dollars.
    It is the techno way.

BooMeringue Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MonitorVendetta View Post
    For Implanon???

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorVendetta View Post
    wow
    The sooner you let 2 hearts beat together, The sooner you'll know this love is forever, Love needs time now or never

What is the purpose of Implanons? I'm unfamiliar with this whole thing, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by BooMeringue View Post
    For Implanon???
    Yeah. We'll only have to pay less than 10% of it after insurance. It's still a LOT more than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorBobSays View Post
    ^^^
    It's a form of birth control.

Do you not get periods on it? That's so cool.
    A lot of girls don't get periods with it, but there are some that spot like crazy. Like weeks in a row.

I haven't had anything yet. Although it's only been a week!

And to PlayRadio: it's a birth control method. It's a piece of plastic inserted into your arm for 3 years.
    It is the techno way.

BooMeringue Guest
    Oh not too bad then! I'm so pleased we have free healthcare here haha

Have had it in for a month today, and I've had zero bleeding.

If I were still on the pill I would have gotten my period yesterday, and I've not gotten anything yet so who knows.

As for side effects, nothing really. I'm a little more prone to emotion, like I feel like crying easier than before. But I don't know if that's the implanon or just the things happening in my life. Either way, it's not a big deal at all.

I have a little bump/scar where it was inserted, but I scar super duper easy so that's no surprise at all.
    It is the techno way.

Blog Entries
    Have you had any spotting?

And when you took BC pills, what brands were you on and what side effects did you have? And did you get any of those side effects from Implanton?
    http://michellyyyy.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Meshell View Post
    Have you had any spotting?

And when you took BC pills, what brands were you on and what side effects did you have? And did you get any of those side effects from Implanton?
    None at all. My gyno told me that if I spot weirdly it will be in the first 3 months, but I've had it for a month and haven't got anything at all.

I was on mircette (actually the generics for it) and I didn't have any side effects except the typical slight weight gain because I didn't get full as fast I don't think I've had any side effects with implanon.

I love the fact that I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday, that I'm always protected (I can't mess this one up!).
    It is the techno way.

I have this and ladies it's not bad at all.
    They numb your arm completely so literally the only pain, if you call if that, you experiance is a tiny little sting from the very first jab.
    Thats all.
    I've had mine in for a year and a half now and it's the best thing I've ever done, I used to take the combigned pill, and I kept forgetting it and panicking all the time.
    Its not denial.
    I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.