Login

My Jelly Bean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 64 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    heartbreak.looks.good.on.her Guest

Everything You Need To Know About Piercings..

Piercing Information

Nose Piercing
    Ear Piercing
    Navel Piercing
    Tongue Piercing
    Lip/Lebret Piercing
    Septum Piercing
    Nipple Piercing
    EyeBrow Piercing

What exactly is a piercing?

It involves piercing a part of the human body and subsequently inserting and keeping a foreign object in the opening until the wound heals. This forms a tunnel of skin (called a fistula) around the foreign object, thus creating a suitable place for wearing different types of body piercing jewelry. The term "piercing" typically refers to this hole.

How Much Does It hurt to get my nose, eyebrow, bellybutton, cartilage, nipple, etc?

There is mainly 3 simple ways to tell if it is going to hurt
    1)when there is mostly a hard substance ( usually cartilage but not always a cartilage piercing hurts the most)
    The areas in the ear have the most cartilage, such as the "rook" or "daith".
    2) If there is a lot of nerve endings where you want to get pierced i.e., your nipple.
    3) If you are not a big pain or needle person I suggest you stay away from piercings, because you will either pass or exaggerate the pain.
    If you truly want the piercing, you'll find that it is well worth the pain.

What the heck are all these weird piercing names? And where do they all go?

Ear piercing Diagram

Oh sh**t I got my cartilage pierced with a gun! What Should I do?

Wait it out. See what happens to your ear and if it reacts horribly with it. There are 2 possible horrible outcomes:
    1) Because layers of cartilage effectively "seal" an area, an infection trapped inside will cause swelling. The hydraulic action of this swelling can exert enough pressure to first distort and then break the skin, either by pressing against something harder (as you see below where the ear is swelling around the center of the barbell) or by actually splitting open from the internal pressure.
    Swelling of this type will usually be hot to the touch and painful. Treating the infection quickly is essential and problems can escalate quickly

2) Keloids are a specific kind of fibrous scar tissue most people make the mistake of assuming that all piercing-related scarring is keloiding. Keloids are more likely to occur in those with black and/or asian genetics.
    Keloid scars can extend well past the edges of the original wound/scar and tend to be darker in colour than hypertrophic scars. Keloids are best avoided by minimizing the source of irritation (ie. taking out the piercing or changing the jewelry). That said, many people describe success with a variety of folk remedies (although it's important to note that many people misinterpret forms of hypertrophic scarring or even things like boils as keloids).
    It should also be noted that keloids don't always form just outside the piercing; they can actually form inside the fistula as well.

Well what can I do to help my cartilage heal?

Whatever you do, do NOT take it out. It will trap whatever infection you have in there. Your best bet is to go to a professional piercer and get a CBR or some kind of PROPER ear piercing material.

I don't want my piercing anymore, what should I do?
    the best thing to do is to take it out. And to use vitamin E to help the scaring. Yes it will scar somewhat, but only a little thing.

I have a scar on my ear from when my dog bite me. Can I still get it pierced?
    Yes, you can . Some piercers might not. But usually they do. And is the same as piercing and un-scared ear.

S hould i use alcohol to help clean my peircing?
    NO NO and NO! That is the worst possible thing you could do. It kills the new skin cells making it harder to heal and slower as well. Clean it with sea salt. you can get a huge bag of it for 6 dollars at any drug store.

Should I turn or rotate my peircing to help it heal?
    No. because even the littlest "crusties" on it will scratch the inside of the piercing making it infected.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me and I will assist you to the best of my ability.

PinkSapphire Guest
    Are you really not supposed to rotate it? Because I've had my ears pierced a few times, since they close up easily, and when I was younger my mom always rotated it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkSapphire
    Are you really not supposed to rotate it? Because I've had my ears pierced a few times, since they close up easily, and when I was younger my mom always rotated it lol.
    Lol. So did my mom when i was younger. That is only because when you get them pierced with a gun (which you are not suppose to) the crusties get stuck and you have to "rotate" them off. as well i heard that it helps make the piercing not close up, like you said. I dont see how. I mean all you are doing is rotating it. how is that suppose to help the piercing in any way?
    it doesnt really help at all. its actually kind of bad for it because you might accidently pull some crusties in which in turn cause the healthing process to stop and it may get infected. no word of a lie i promise.

quck tip on stretching: give your ears a break from your jewlery. it will help provent thinning of your lobe and help the blood flow.

.Erin. Guest
    i think we need a piercing board on here.

Edapotata Guest
    I got my cartilidge peirced with a gun, lol. Is that bad?

asinineArsenic Guest
    I was told to move my nose piercing whenever i washed it with soap to clean it out. Other than that I was not suppose to touch it. Nose piercings are one of the more faster healing piercings. I really want to get my cartilage pierced but I am not sure if I should go to Claires or go to this piercing place and get it done.

x7glowstix7x Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Edapotata
    I got mine pierced with a gun too, i was in 5th grade i didnt know any better, mine is fine still even though i hate it that it migrated and now i have a scar.

arieza Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by asinineArsenic
    I was told to move my nose piercing whenever i washed it with soap to clean it out. Other than that I was not suppose to touch it. Nose piercings are one of the more faster healing piercings. I really want to get my cartilage pierced but I am not sure if I should go to Claires or go to this piercing place and get it done.
    Go to a proffessional piercer. Claire's uses guns, which are okay for lobes, but not cartilage.

But in reply to the actual thread, why did you mostly talk about cartilage? I'm sure people would like more information on other piercings.

Britarded Guest
    That doesnt seem accurate.. I've always been told to rotate them.

arieza Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Edapotata
    Guns arn't very good for cartilage. Because using a gun basically means shoving a blunt object into your ear until the skin and cartilage breaks and the earring goes through. The most common problem is it shatters the cartilage, so it all gathers at the back of your earring, making a big bump that's pretty ugly. It also tends to hurt more and is more prone to infection than with a needle.

Also, when you get a piercing it's best not to use a ring until it is fully healed. because while itis healing, it forms a wall of cells around it, and every time you move it(which happens a lot with a ring) it breaks down the wall. Studs and barbells arn't in the way as much as rings are, therefore they are usually better.

arieza Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Britarded
    That doesnt seem accurate.. I've always been told to rotate them.
    It's all right to rotate your lobes because they heal faster, but it's not very good to rotate any other piercing.

asinineArsenic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arieza
    It's all right to rotate your lobes because they heal faster, but it's not very good to rotate any other piercing.
    I was told to rotate my nose piercing while washing it. Now I'm confused.

arieza Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by asinineArsenic
    I was told to rotate my nose piercing while washing it. Now I'm confused.
    Hmm. I don't see why, but maybe your piercer had reasons.

Sassybabe1013 Guest
    Hmm I havent heard anything on tongue peircings yet, lol